ISU PROPOSED CHANGES TO FIGURE SKATING

ISU PROPOSED CHANGES TO FIGURE SKATING

Postby Maleeva » Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Scroll down in this article to see the proposed changes to figure skating. Most of it we have heard before but the one that sounds new to me is requiring an Axel jump on all jump combinations. Not sure why that would be required. Many skaters like to use a half Loop jump in their combo jumps.

https://www.isu.org/news/145-news/12087 ... teParam=15
Maleeva

Re: ISU PROPOSED CHANGES TO FIGURE SKATING

Postby chuckiem » Fri May 18, 2018 2:35 pm

The axel jump rule is for a two-jump sequence, not a 3-jump combo that currently uses a half loop. But I can't think of anyone doing a 2-jump sequence that hasn't included an axel jump, so don't quite understand the necessity for a new rule. Most such sequences are either 2a^2a or 3s^2a.
chuckiem

Postby Maleeva » Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Ok good info chuckie.
Maleeva

Postby Virginia » Sat May 19, 2018 5:13 am

This one BAFFLES me:

Jump Sequences: a proposed new definition: a jump sequence consists of 2 (two) jumps of any number of revolutions, beginning with any jump, immediately followed by an Axel type jump with a direct step from the landing curve of the first jump to the take-off curve of the Axel jump.

So that means no more combinations with a toe loop or loop as the second jump??? What the heck?

How does that benefit the sport, to disallow the bread-and-butter combinations of the past fifty years or more?

Or are they just playing with terminology? A jump sequence, in which the second jump is an axel, is to be a different animal than a jump combination, in which the second jump is usually a toe loop or a loop? So skaters can do, say, two combinations and two sequences in a program? Is that what's being proposed?

Also: I HATE the name Rhythm Dance. Implies that the free dance lacks rhythm. Idiotic name change.
Virginia

Postby chuckiem » Sat May 19, 2018 5:39 pm

It looks like a new definition of a sequence, which is two jumps, but with no turn in between. I think skaters do have a turn between the two 2as in a 2a^2a sequence.

You can still have only one 3-jump combo (including the one with the loop) in a program, and a sequence is considered in the same category as any two-jump combo. Most skaters wouldn't do more than one sequence since they usually have less points than a normal combo.
chuckiem

Postby Trilogy86 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Turns are currently not allowed in a jump sequence.

It sounds like they are changing the definition of a sequence away from two jump, which could potentially have an axel jump to two other jumps, plus an axel immediately on the landing foot.
Trilogy86

Postby Andy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 am

To my it sounds not like a good proposal. Especially in pairs, we have seen quite a few 3T/3T sequences. And even though indeed the majority of the sequences for seniors singles include a 2A, I do not see why this should be used as a way to limit. Say I am a skater studying a 3/3 combo, and I build it from a 3/3 sequence. The CoP has already eliminated a great number of jumping combinations and sequences, this step would go in the direction of eliminating even more variety. I hope it will not pass.
Andy
Andy

Postby Andy » Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 am

In the meantime, the new SOV and Levels have been proposed (pending congress approval). We move to a -5 -> +5 GOE scale, based on a bullet points principle (good luck to the average judge).

Remarkably, the +1 awarded for creative air body position, i.e. arm(s) aloft, is gone.

A very interesting part is the short section about the program components: again, extra rules have been set in place i order to stop the judges' foolishness in giving out PCS out of proportion. Talk about NOT addressing the real problem...
Andy
Andy

Postby Maleeva » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Phil Hersh did a nice job summarizing the new rules that passed the ISU Congress. These changes definitely benefit skaters who have complete skating skills and not just jumping prowess. Someone like Jason Brown must be thrilled. Here is the full article:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/06/ ... o-programs
Maleeva

Postby sms29s66 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:34 am

Since I've always been in the camp that a jump with a fall should not receive any points, I'm satisfied with the changes. And thank heavens back loading is being restricted--even more than I would have thought. Am I correct that the arm over the head will no longer be rewarded at all? I thought they should just limit that feature to one per program and judge it strictly--Medved looked to me like she was waving a broken arm over her head! With these changes in the values of jumps, quality skating will finally count again--perhaps they will re-instate schools. I would propose that schools be mandatory below the senior level. That way we'd see better overall skating skills as the elite skaters would have mastered actual skating along the way.
sms29s66

Postby chuckiem » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:21 am

Skaters can wave their arms over their heads all they want, but it won't count for extra GOE.
chuckiem

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:00 am

I don't know what to make of this change. So now we are losing another source of variation when it comes down to jumps. An easier (and better) option would have been to consider the same variation (like an arm aloft, or arms to the side) only once per program. Since CoP introduction we have lost so much in terms of jump variety, and this change, together with the ri-definition of sequences, will flatten out the jumps content even more, IMO.
Andy
Andy

Postby chuckiem » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm

When a skater raises the arms with every jump, it's no longer a variation, it's a habit, and an annoying one at that, that contributes nothing to the artistic value of the skating as a whole.
chuckiem

Postby Winnipeg » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Good, I was getting quite tired of the overly over the head arms thing.
Winnipeg

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:08 am

chuckiem wrote:When a skater raises the arms with every jump, it's no longer a variation, it's a habit, and an annoying one at that, that contributes nothing to the artistic value of the skating as a whole.

Absolutely. My point exactly. Instead of punishing the repetition, they took away the variation. Seems a bit of an odd way to me.
Andy
Andy

Postby sms29s66 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Seems like they could at least allow the first variation, but revoke it if repeated? I liked the Tano lutz. But overall I'm not unhappy to see this overused fad go away.
sms29s66

Postby Dragonlady » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm

When Brian Boitano put his arm over his head, it was straight above his head, fingers pointing to the ceiling. It was a position. Zagitova just flops her arm across the top of her head. No stretch or extension, no fingers extended to the ceiling. It looks lazy and sloppy. Good riddance to that move.
Dragonlady

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Dragonlady wrote:When Brian Boitano put his arm over his head, it was straight above his head, fingers pointing to the ceiling. It was a position. Zagitova just flops her arm across the top of her head. No stretch or extension, no fingers extended to the ceiling. It looks lazy and sloppy. Good riddance to that move.

Agree :!: :!: :!:
Winnipeg

Postby sms29s66 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 am

Dragonlady wrote:When Brian Boitano put his arm over his head, it was straight above his head, fingers pointing to the ceiling. It was a position. Zagitova just flops her arm across the top of her head. No stretch or extension, no fingers extended to the ceiling. It looks lazy and sloppy. Good riddance to that move.

That's why I thought it would be good to allow one per program and score it according to its excellence.
sms29s66

Return to Figure Skating