2018 WORLD JR CHAMPIONSHIPS 3/7-11 Sofia BUL

Re: 2018 WORLD JR CHAMPIONSHIPS 3/7-11 Sofia BUL

Postby sms29s66 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Naomi Nari Nam is another. I was far more impressed with her than Sasha Cohen when they sprang onto the senior level.
sms29s66

Postby Dragonlady » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:12 am

Ellen wrote:
Jonas wrote:Back to 2018: Ok, I'm not saying that I have a boarding pass on the Trusova Train, but you gotta give the girl some credit. She clearly didn't have to try the quads to win, but she did anyway and she nailed both of them. Maybe she'll never land them again and there'll be no big rush from the other ladies to follow suit...who knows?? But I think the girl deserves some kudos!

Your thoughts...

Finally!
Something tells me that if an American girl jumped two different quads in competition, more people here would admire that :) :)

The coaches did not force Alexandra to jump the quads, she really wanted it. Jumps are her most favorite elements, as she once said. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Alexandra's coach Daniil Gleyhengauz (sorry for not perfect translation):

"- The most important thing is that Sasha herself really wanted this, and this is the most important thing, because the greatest danger is to get injured when the athlete is afraid, and you push him, tell: go, jump." With a quadruple jump, this does not work. Sasha wanted and asked: "May I jump the quad again, again please." And our task was to control this, not to let her jump more than necessary.

- Can we say that Trusova in this respect is a unique sportswoman who has what not everyone has?

- Of course, not everyone can do this. Just as not every boy can jump a quadruple. A lot depends on the talent of the athlete, his desire, the abilities. And very much depends on the coaching staff. If there is the right technique, the right approach, with warm-ups, drills, there are doctors in the group, and all this works together, then you reduce the risk of danger and bring the athlete to a level when he is close to discovering the maximum of his abilities.

Figure skating is developing very quickly. And we were very pleased that the audience was surprised that the girl jumped two quads. But it did not happen all of a sudden. Because we have been working on this for a long time.

Five years ago no one would have believed that Nathan Chen would jump in the program of six quads. Although not many boys who are able to repeat it. The same is true for girls. Here, of course, I repeat, much depends on the individuality of each athlete and his abilities and desire.
... "

When young American girls were skating 7 triple programs at the ages of 13 and 14, it was so not admired that there were barred from competing in senior events, in an effort to keep these kids from getting injured.

Your girls would be more admired if they were better skaters. Irina Slutskaya could Skate. She could cover the length of the rink in three of four strokes. Her jumps flew across the ice with height and distance. She appeared larger than life when she skated. These girls skate small, with stiff knees and little ice coverage because they aren’t mature enough to skate like adults.

Not one of your lovely Russian super-girls is still skating at age 20, Ellen. They’re burned out, suffering from eating disorders, injured - gone. Radionova, the new girl in 2014, who was too young for Socchi, didn’t even make the team this year. The girl who won Socchi just came and went. She won the Olympics out of the blue and was too injured to skate again. When the Americans were doing this, we called it “Eating their young”.

The girls get a season or two in seniors, but they don’t last long. Their bodies change and they’re gone, or they’re injured and gone. This is not good for the sport in general, or the Russian program.
Dragonlady

Postby Ellen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 am

Dragonlady wrote:
Not one of your lovely Russian super-girls is still skating at age 20, Ellen. They’re burned out, suffering from eating disorders, injured - gone. Radionova, the new girl in 2014, who was too young for Socchi, didn’t even make the team this year. The girl who won Socchi just came and went. She won the Olympics out of the blue and was too injured to skate again. When the Americans were doing this, we called it “Eating their young”.

The girls get a season or two in seniors, but they don’t last long. Their bodies change and they’re gone, or they’re injured and gone. This is not good for the sport in general, or the Russian program.

I do not agree completely.
Lena Radionova or Liza Tuktamysheva did not get into the team not because of injuries or eating disorders, but because they lost to the more stronger athletes at the Russian Nationals: Zagitova, Tsurskaya, Konstantinova. It's not that the federation relies on youth, and squeezes everything out of them. But by the current rules, the younger you are, the easier it is to win. Perhaps, if the rules are changed, the situation will also be diferent. I would, for example, increase the age of transition to seniors to 17 years.
Our Olympic champion Adelina Sotnikova is not performing now, because she got carried away by the Shows. She also started her own business. I understand her and do not blame her - she needs to earn a lot of money for the treatment of her sick sister. The prize money from the Olympics helped her sister to get expensive treatment in Germany. And now it would be too hard for her to compete with the other girls for getting into the National team.
This season, only Anya Pogorilaya does not skate because of the back injury.

Carolina Costner skates up to 30 years because in Italy she has no competitors. If Italy had girls like Zagitova, it's not a fact that we would have seen Carolina at the Europeans and Worlds the past recent years.

Then, what happened to Gracie Gold? Why did she stop skating so early?
Ellen

Postby chuckiem » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Gracie suffered from depression and an eating disorder. She is coaching now and is much happier.
chuckiem

Postby chuckiem » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:19 pm

BTW, why was Konstantinova sent to Worlds after failing to make the podium at Junior Worlds? She did even worse at Worlds, dropping from 16th place in the SP to 20th in the FS (and what a messy FS it was) for 19th place overall.

I am sure Radionova or Tsurskaya would have placed a lot higher than that.
chuckiem

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Sotnikova didn’t get “carried away by the shows”. She had injuries and other issues. She’s now training with Plushenko and hoping to make a comeback, according to a recently published interview about all of her difficulties after Socchi.

Ellen, you said that Radionova and others were beaten by “better skaters” at Nationals. This seems to miss the point of my previous post completely. If your young skaters had better technique, they would be better skaters after puberty than they were before their bodies change - stronger, faster, more powerful, not less so. Little girls whose bodies aren’t fully developed or mature have smaller hips and chests allowing them to rotate faster in the air. They’re not better skaters, they can just jump more easily.

If the judges marked these girls correctly on their PCS and GOE in terms of ice coverage, landings, speed and flow, the junior girls wouldn’t be winning. And that’s the issue that really needs addressing. As long as judges lavish +2’s and 3’s on tiny jumps that go up and down in the same spot and come to a stop on the landing, skaters have no incentive to do better.
Dragonlady

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am

Dragonlady wrote:Sotnikova didn’t get “carried away by the shows”. She had injuries and other issues. She’s now training with Plushenko and hoping to make a comeback, according to a recently published interview about all of her difficulties after Socchi.

You probably know better.

I follow the news about Adelina. I got impression that she certainly dreams of returning to competitons, but realizes the small chances of getting into the national team. At the recent post-Olympic show, Adeline looked brilliant in terms of artistry, skating skills, expressiveness, but only managed to do one jump which even had a mistake. It seems to me that Plyushenko trains her more for his shows than for the competitions.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:46 am

chuckiem wrote:BTW, why was Konstantinova sent to Worlds after failing to make the podium at Junior Worlds? She did even worse at Worlds, dropping from 16th place in the SP to 20th in the FS (and what a messy FS it was) for 19th place overall.

I am sure Radionova or Tsurskaya would have placed a lot higher than that.

I am not sure but looks like Lena Radionova has not trained after she finished only 9th at Nationals and didn't get into the team. Same for Lisa Tuktamysheva. They both were not ready to go to Worlds.
I am not sure why the RFSF sent Stanislava instead of Polina Tsurskaya. Stanislava evidently got tired after the Junior Worlds which was just two weeks before the Worlds. Moreover she got sick and skated in Milan with the > 38 temperature.

Probably sending Polina would had been better choice. I like Polina, I think she has all what is needed for top class skating. I hope she will not quit, and the setbacks of this season will not stop her.
Ellen

Postby chuckiem » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm

I have always loved Polina T's skating and would have loved to see her at Worlds. She has many American fans who were disappointed to see Konstantinova chosen instead of Polina. I realize Polina has a problem related to bone growth right now, but the good news is that should gradually go away---maybe even by the fall and the GP.
chuckiem

Previous

Return to Figure Skating