2018 Pyeongchang KOREA WINTER OLYMPICS

Re: 2018 Pyeongchang KOREA WINTER OLYMPICS

Postby sms29s66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Good heavens! It looked to me as though Mirai was having a meltdown as she left the ice. It seems to have bloomed into outright lunacy. I think there have been some very good to excellent skaters in the past whom we don't see as commentators because they are dumb as a bag of hammers. Mirai apparently belongs in that group even though she is neither very good or excellent.
sms29s66

Postby ihsia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Another strange comment from Mirai a few days before ladies' event...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/18/ ... e-friends/

She was probably either stressed out or felt fulfilled after the team medal.
Daxia
ihsia

Postby SuperG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Hearty congratulations to Kaetlyn Osmond!! I'm so glad she won the bronze, though I thought she deserved the silver. Questionable judging. I'm so tired of the hype over the Russian women. (Girls?) Neither one is the perfect skater. IMO, Zagitova skates like a robot, just gliding around to music. Maybe with a bit more maturity, she'll actually feel the music.
At least Medvedeva has some musicality, but her flow out of her jumps is lacking.
I felt so bad for Gabby Daleman. I hope she does better at Worlds.

Congratulations to the Canadian team winning four medals !!!
SuperG

Postby Dragonlady » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 pm

I feared Gabby had peaked too soon, after her skates at Canadians.

But KO was incredible. Gorgeous programs, skated with speed, flow, great ice coverage and huge jumps. Beautiful, elegant, and a well balanced program. Her medal is the cherry on the top of the best ice cream sundae ever!
Dragonlady

Postby Virginia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Does anybody else find anything suspicious in Zagitova's stamina? She's able to accomplish feats (7 huge triples in the second half of a free program) that we've never seen from any skater before, male or female, and she does it with 100% consistency. It does make me wonder if Russian chemistry has come up with some new miracle formula that hasn't yet been detected or banned by WADA.

I hate to harbor such ideas, but recent events make it difficult not to consider them.
Virginia

Postby Maleeva » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 pm

I do not Virginia. That is called being 15 years old LOL.

So these ten days are over and I can say all of the events were just incredible.

I have such renewed appreciation for Yuzuru, V&M and Pairs skating in general (I have not enjoyed pairs much the past few seasons). The final flight of ladies skating was truly other worldly.

On another note, there is a skating show I watch regularly on YouTube, called This and That. I have to admit I’ve never been much of a fan of Meagan Duhamel’s on ice persona. But I had never heard her even speak before. Isn’t that funny how we develop our perceptions of people even when we actually know nothing about them.

After watching this episode of This and That, after she won both her Olympic medals, I am just blown away how wrong I was about her. She is one of the most articulate, insightful and generous skaters on the scene today. She will make a great coach someday and would also be fantastic at TV skating commentary. If you have two hours to watch, I think you may see a side of her you may not have known either. Here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46n5zz_5mZE
Last edited by Maleeva on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maleeva

Postby Virginia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Maleeva, I've become a regular viewer of "This and That" over the past few months (for those unfamiliar, it's a production of The Skating Lesson video program). The Boys are opinionated and occasionally say controversial things, but they certainly have their ear to the ground and explain a lot of things to me. Do listen as well to the Dance recap with Sandra Bezic. They open with a discussion of the rule that stopped Pap and Ciz from re-starting that was really illuminating and, I thought, right on the mark.
Virginia

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 pm

This has to be one of the best Olympics ever in terms of the performances. Skater after skater just laid it down. Canada winning four medals, including three medals in the individual events was just the icing on the cake.

Congratulations to all of the skaters who gave us their best.
Dragonlady

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 am

The Russian national figure skating team won five medals in Sochi. In my opinion, this is the biggest achievement in the history of figure skating when one country won so many medals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ellen

Postby Trilogy86 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Dragonlady wrote:This has to be one of the best Olympics ever in terms of the performances. Skater after skater just laid it down. Canada winning four medals, including three medals in the individual events was just the icing on the cake.

Ellen wrote:The Russian national figure skating team won five medals in Sochi. In my opinion, this is the biggest achievement in the history of figure skating when one country won so many medals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the discussion was situated around what the "biggest achievement in the history of figure skating" was. The remark was in good spirits about how well ALL of the skaters performed at the Olympics, regardless of the nation.
Trilogy86

Postby sms29s66 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Ellen, your extremely defensive attitude toward all things Russian isn't winning any converts. Figure skating fans are a "cosmopolitan" bunch. We like good skaters no matter where they come from. I am American, but I always loved the Russian pair skaters beginning with the Protopopovs back in the 60's. When it came to ice dancing, I loved Torvill and Dean as well as Angelique and Oleg (sorry, I can't do his last name to save my soul). As for the men, no one complained more about Jeremy Abbott and Evan Lysacek than me! The men are in the enviable situation of having great skaters from everywhere right now. The US is in a funk with our pairs and ladies these days. So I like the Chinese pairs. And I'd like the Russian ladies a lot more if you'd let me.
sms29s66

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Trilogy86 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:This has to be one of the best Olympics ever in terms of the performances. Skater after skater just laid it down. Canada winning four medals, including three medals in the individual events was just the icing on the cake.

Ellen wrote:The Russian national figure skating team won five medals in Sochi. In my opinion, this is the biggest achievement in the history of figure skating when one country won so many medals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the discussion was situated around what the "biggest achievement in the history of figure skating" was. The remark was in good spirits about how well ALL of the skaters performed at the Olympics, regardless of the nation.

From the post of Dragonlady it looked like the 2018 Olympics FS competition was the best for two things: great performances and Canada winning four medals.
Since nobody here expressed their joy about Russia winning five medals in Sochi - I did it now behindhand :)
And I agree that some performances were really great!
Ellen

Postby Maleeva » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Russia won three figure skating medals. Silver in team, gold and silver in ladies.
Maleeva

Postby chuckiem » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 pm

In the period between 1976 and 1988, Russia always won at least 4 figure skating medals per Olympics, sometimes 5. These were mostly in men, pairs and dance (only one in ladies---Kira Ivanova).
chuckiem

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:52 pm

The issue with the doping sort of takes a shine off this.

IN any event the comment was not meant to be a comparative one......it was just a comment.
Winnipeg

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm

I definitely think these past Olympics were fantastic for figure skating. It was great skating overall and as another poster said, Canada's performance was icing on the cake!
Winnipeg

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Re Nagasu:

I read her comments as reported in the news articles noted below. For some reason, I am not surprised because she looked "off" to me when she came off the ice. What I mean is that her expression and overall carriage did not at all match her performance......almost like she could care less or that she was having some sort of mental lapse due to stress or something? Her comments about her team mates were really unprofessional IMO.

Felt bad for Gabi Daleman. I have never seen her skate so poorly. Kurt Browning was very kind but factual as he commented during her skate. He mentioned how it feels when something is off in your program and how it can feel like you have never done this before and you just want it to end. He was very compassionate but recognized the skate for how bad it really was. No sugar coating, just hug coating.

Hopefully she will come out fighting at Worlds.
Winnipeg

Postby Jonas » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:01 pm

It's fair to mention that Mirai Nagasu did a follow up interview the next day and tried to explain and apologized for the comments that she made. I wish I still had the link, but basically she summed it up as not finding the right words during the heat of the moment to express herself correctly. She tried to explain that she wasn't claiming that she was the reason the US won the Team Bronze, but that it was indeed her efforts combined w/everyone else's. She's apologized to her teammates for that.

She reiterated that she was indeed very disappointed w/the missed 3Axels in particular and her individual performances in general, but she said she took solace and pride in the fact that she skated well in the Team event and cherished the medal she won. Yes, I, too, mentioned how VERY odd it was for Mirai to be smiling widely after her missed jumps when I don't remember her ever smiling in many of her performances over the last six seasons.

Mirai was especially apologetic towards Gabby Daleman. Mirai mentioned Gabby because she reported that they've exchanged hugs back stage right before this interview to console each other for their disappointing skates. Both were really angry at the way they performed.

I got the impression that she was not making excuses, but was just trying to explain what she meant to say and was taking ownership of what she actually and regrettably said.

I wish her the best in Milan.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby ihsia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:22 pm

I think this is the link of Mirai's interview:
http://people.com/sports/winter-olympic ... iple-axel/
Daxia
ihsia

Postby sms29s66 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm

My daughter says hearing the interview was quite different from reading it on the page. She gives Mirai a pass.
sms29s66

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Skating