2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics - Team Event

Re: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics - Team Event

Postby bumphystars » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I completely agree about Kolyada. No way he should have been ahead of Adam, whom I would have placed in second behind Patrick.

Though, really, it had no bearing on the final result in the end. Turns out Canada had it well in hand from the start and didn't even need the 10 points from V/M in the free.

It's been pretty special watching the Canadian team being interviewed. You can really tell that they took the event super seriously and really worked as a team. So nice to see all those veterans (D/R, V/M, Chan) being able to cap off their careers in that way.
bumphystars

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 pm

The team members are in a unique position. They all skate with Canadian Stars on Ice. Every single one of them. They tour together, they’re all Canadian Champions. Some are at their 3rd Olympics. Their lives as skaters have been intertwined since they started skating North American Chalkenge Skates in the early 2000’s. They’ve trained together, travelled together, shared hotel rooms with and generally cheered for and supported one another since they were teenagers.

In an interview, Scott Moir said “We want this for Chiddy” (Patrick Chan). In a later interview he said that winning silver in Sochi made everyone on the Canadian team hungry for the gold.

It’s a remarkable achievement and a big dream come true for the skaters.
Dragonlady

Postby chuckiem » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Too bad they wouldn't share the wealth with WeaPo. There was zero risk in letting them skate the FD.
chuckiem

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 am

There was little reason to think that Chan would win the Men’s LP and Weaver & Poje have struggled this season. I would have liked to see WeaPo or P2 get a medal too, but I’m happy with the way they did it.

Eric Radford becomes the first openly gay man to win a Winter Olympics Gold Medal.
Dragonlady

Postby Ellen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 am

Silver Team :D
Ellen

Previous

Return to Figure Skating