2018 US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Re: 2018 US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby Virginia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 pm

How about to skate great and show the International Committee that they may have made a questionable decision in skipping over him for the Olympic team? To show that his strong performance at Nationals wasn't a fluke? For pride?

It'd be a more satisfying end to his career than the disappointment of San Jose, wouldn't it?

And here's another reason to go to Taipei: both Ashley and Ross are alternates to the World team. I think there's a very good chance that Ashley, as first alternate, might get the call to go to Milan. It's very common for skaters not to go on to worlds after Olympics, suffering from exhaustion, injury or just plain burnout. Mirai especially might want to end her career on Olympic ice.

Ross, admittedly, has a much lower chance of being tapped for Worlds as the second alternate, but stranger things have happened!
Virginia

Postby sms29s66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm

If Ross was planning to retire this season anyway, I see no reason for him to do anything more after being treated so shabbily by our federation. If he were as young as Jason and still had a few years to go, yes, he should have agreed to skate at Four Continents and/or Worlds and been the "good sport".. But he doesn't owe the sport anything anymore. All this mess has done for me is created a bitterness and desire to see Adam Rippon fail at the Olympics, which, of course, he will.
sms29s66

Postby chuckiem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Adam Rippon wasn't the one who pushed Ross Miner aside so he, Adam, could go to the Olympics. The selection committee did that dirty deed. So why heap abuse on Adam and wish him ill?

I, personally, can understand why the selection committee acted as they did. Ross has skated poorly for the past two seasons and had ONE great skate at Nationals this year. Chances are he would have gone to the Olympics and laid a big egg. The skaters have been told repeatedly that Nationals is NOT the main selection criteria for the Olympics, or even for Worlds and that their body of work would be under review as well. Ross should have been well aware that his body of work was below par (he had not won a medal in international competition since 2015).
chuckiem

Postby sms29s66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Adam Rippon earned my contempt with his "entitled" attitude. He said that the only way he wouldn't go to the Olympics is if the other skaters' moms were on the selection committee. And that was before he skated at nationals, wasn't it? Apparently the only mom on the committee was his own. Perhaps it was a one-person committee. Up until then I was a fan of Adam's. My contempt for him doesn't have anything to do with Ross per se. Chuckie, you sound aggrieved that Ross skated well at nationals. I certainly hope that the selection process will change radically after this disastrous exercise. Otherwise I see no reason for a national competition at all.
sms29s66

Postby bumphystars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:59 pm

So funny: I love Adam's attitude! He has such candour and makes things interesting. Why is it when athletes say things that betray a confidence in their belief to be the best we vilify them for it?

Skating needs more skaters like Adam who aren't afraid to show a little personality, then maybe more people will start watching it again.
bumphystars

Postby chuckiem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 pm

sms29s66 wrote:Adam Rippon earned my contempt with his "entitled" attitude. He said that the only way he wouldn't go to the Olympics is if the other skaters' moms were on the selection committee. And that was before he skated at nationals, wasn't it? Apparently the only mom on the committee was his own. Perhaps it was a one-person committee. Up until then I was a fan of Adam's. My contempt for him doesn't have anything to do with Ross per se. Chuckie, you sound aggrieved that Ross skated well at nationals. I certainly hope that the selection process will change radically after this disastrous exercise. Otherwise I see no reason for a national competition at all.

No, I wasn't 'aggrieved', but I did think Ross was overscored, as his "quad" was questionable as to rotation.

I doubt the selection process will change, and I don't think it should change. Ross shouldn't have been on the Olympic or World teams because his one fluke performance at Nationals was not representative of what he normally puts out on the ice. Miner was #27 on the 2017-2018 SB list for his Finlandia performance----where he was beaten by both Vincent Zhou and Adam Rippon, who won silver and bronze respectively. And Ross was #48 on the 2016-2017 SB list; he received no GP invitations this season except a host pick to SA.
chuckiem

Postby sms29s66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:58 pm

bumphystars wrote:So funny: I love Adam's attitude! He has such candour and makes things interesting. Why is it when athletes say things that betray a confidence in their belief to be the best we vilify them for it?

Skating needs more skaters like Adam who aren't afraid to show a little personality, then maybe more people will start watching it again.

Surely there's a middle ground between "I just want to go out there and have fun" and "I deserve to go to the Olympics no matter how I skate".
sms29s66

Previous

Return to Figure Skating