Pogorilaya out for the season

Pogorilaya out for the season

Postby rosima » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 am

She announced today that because of her back injury, she’s out for the rest of the season, missing Nationals and therefore a chance at the Olympics. It would have been a steep hill to climb anyway with the strength of the field and this season’s poor results.
rosima

Re: Pogorilaya out for the season

Postby Virginia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm guessing her career is over.

The way Russian ladies' skating is going, nobody keeps competing once they're out of their teens. There are just too many prepubescent wunderkinds coming up behind them who can outjump the more mature skaters. Like gymnastics.

A shame. I had come to rather like Anna's skating.
Virginia

Postby bumphystars » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

It is a real shame and sadly not surprising.

I have said here before and I'll say again: Our sport does not support the healthy development of young women and the trend continues to go in a troubling direction.
bumphystars

Postby Jonas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Alena Leonova, who is older than Ashley Wagner, is still out there competing. It's almost six years past her World silver medal and yeah, she's a loooooong shot for a World Team, but she's been able to put out some very nice performances for herself on the Grand Prix circuit.

Anna Pogorilaya is only 19 or 20 -- I think she can recover and get back out there competing, if she so wishes. I, too, much prefer Anna P. to any of the conveyor belt wundergirls from Eteri Tuberidze's factory.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby bumphystars » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:31 pm

The thing is, female skaters only get MORE interesting as they age and develop (sorta like all women, of course); Anna is a strong example of this. But there is so much intense pressure on their minds, bodies, and spirits at such a young age now, it becomes impossible to sustain a career longer than a few seasons.

This year alone we've seen two major stars of our sport—Gracie Gold and Julia Lipnitskaia—go public with eating disorders. And of course there are many more suffering, and not just from eating disorders but other chronic physical and mental illness, who never go public. What is the sport doing to fight this? Do they care at all?

Seems not...
bumphystars

Postby chuckiem » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 am

If, as reported, Satoko Miyahara has osteopenia due to poor nutrition, she too must have suspect eating habits.
chuckiem

Return to Figure Skating