GRACIE GOLD GETTING HELP

GRACIE GOLD GETTING HELP

Postby Maleeva » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I think this is good news for Gracie. I hope professional treatment helps get her to a place where she can enjoy skating again and be a competitive force in ladies skating.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/09/01/251798060
Maleeva

Re: GRACIE GOLD GETTING HELP

Postby Jonas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Gracie had mentioned that she didn't plan on competing beyond this (Olympic) year. IIRC, I read this before 2016 Worlds.

I'd very surprised to see Gracie back in competitive (physical and more importantly, mental) by 2018 US Nationals, much less contend for a ticket to Pyeongchang. She's easily one of the most naturally talented jumpers/skaters among the ladies ever, but varying reports have it that as late as the USFSA's Champs' Camp, Gracie was still landing only doubles. I guess we'll see.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 pm

I just wish she had taken this step at this time LAST YEAR. If this is really her last year of competition, it could be too late to make a difference, and if so it is a tremendous waste of a huge talent.
chuckiem

Postby Maleeva » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Gracie has withdrawn from her GP events. I hope she gets all the help she needs to skate competitively again one day. Article below:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id ... ies-events
Maleeva

Postby Maleeva » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 pm

I guess the USA will lose both her GP slots in China and France?
Maleeva

Postby Jonas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Amber Glenn got Gracie Gold's spot at Cup of China. Not sure what Amber Glenn showed over the summer and at Lombardia to warrant the invite, but ok... :?

Angela Wang, who finished higher in Kansas City than Glenn and also fared far better in her Challenger event, IMO, is more worthy and appears more competition ready for the Grand Prix. I'm still hoping that Wang gets the invite to Grand Prix-France.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Maleeva » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 am

I agree Jonas. I never thought Amber Glenn would get this slot. Wang would make more sense.
Maleeva

Postby chuckiem » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Angela Wang couldn't get the spot, as she is not on the Seasons Best list, on which the substitute list is based. To get on the SB list, a skater had to have competed in a JGP, GP, ISU Challenge or ISU Championship event last season. Angela was injured and did not compete last fall; the top 3 at Nationals went to 4CC. This year's GP document omitted the clause that allowed results of current Challenge events to place skaters retroactively on last season's SB list.

Anyway, it is not that unusual for a GP host to select a somewhat underperforming substitute, as it improves prospects for the host picks. And perhaps replacing a US entry with a US substitute is a return courtesy for the US inviting Xiangning LI (#40 on SB, #68 on WS and #14 at Worlds) to SA.
chuckiem

Postby Jonas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Understood! If she doesn't get on the Grand Prix, then the right thing for the USFSA to do, IMO, is to send Angela Wang to one of the November Challengers. Given how well Wang skated at Finlandia (just about as well as, if not better than, any other US lady internationally thusfar), it'd also be smart for the USFSA to get her more competitive exposure.

ETA: I just saw Courtney Hicks is on the ladies' roster for the Challenger event in Warsaw, POL.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 am

Gracie has announced that she’s pulling out of Nationals to focus on her treatment. It saddens me that this immensely talented girl is in this situation.
Dragonlady

Postby chuckiem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 am

Jonas wrote:Understood! If she doesn't get on the Grand Prix, then the right thing for the USFSA to do, IMO, is to send Angela Wang to one of the November Challengers. Given how well Wang skated at Finlandia (just about as well as, if not better than, any other US lady internationally thusfar), it'd also be smart for the USFSA to get her more competitive exposure.

ETA: I just saw Courtney Hicks is on the ladies' roster for the Challenger event in Warsaw, POL.

Your thoughts...

Courtney won bronze at Warsaw.
chuckiem

Postby Jonas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 am

Gracie has been tweeting up a storm all throughout the ladies FS tonight. Kinda refreshing and entertaining to read even the occasional shade being thrown! She did tweet that this ladies FS has motivated her to return to competition. We'll see!!
Jonas

Postby bumphystars » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 pm

I really wonder how she'll face Ashley after some of the shade being thrown!
bumphystars

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Can you elaborate on the "shade" being thrown?
Winnipeg

Postby tennisfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Winnipeg wrote:Can you elaborate on the "shade" being thrown?

https://twitter.com/GraceEGold
tennisfan

Return to Figure Skating