Julia Lipnitskaya calls it quits

Julia Lipnitskaya calls it quits

Postby GoFigure » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:09 am

Anorexia took her. Any news on other Julia, Antipova that is?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
GoFigure

Re: Julia Lipnitskaya calls it quits

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 am

Poor kid. here is an article I could find on the subject:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in ... story.html

My two cents:

First she was pushed into jumps she could barely land. Then she was prized for them (thank you so much, judges, coaches and referees), and she became overloaded with responsibilities and expectations. Then the puberty monster hit her, together with injuries. And now she copes the way she can: trying to get back to that body shape that allowed her to land those jumps.
I hope she will not be left alone. When I read something like that I become furious - another victim of the code of point and its poor application. I hope she will recover.
Andy
Andy

Postby Jonas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:34 pm

She didn't have the best technique, but she was super consistent with her jumps and almost no one really was, so she was rightfully rewarded for them. With the rewards come expectations and they mounted on her. Growth issues exacerbated the relatively inferior jump technique. Her situation is hardly unique among ladies' competitors and I find it hard to blame the judges for all of this.

That being said, I hope she recognizes and is proud of all of the accomplishments she's had: undefeated in 2011-2012 season, 2014 Euro Champ, 2014 Olympic Team Champion, 2014 World silver medallist, and a plethora of other international victories.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Winnipeg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 pm

I loved her programs at the Olympics in Sochi. This is really sad news. I wish her well.

BTW, I don't see how this can be blamed on the judges and referees though? Coaches maybe?
Winnipeg

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 am

Winnipeg, it is solely my two cents.

The judges and referees are responsible for awarding her with scores way beyond what she deserved both for her technique (axel and lutz, to name the two most obvious cases) and program components - she was basically a junior skater who received huge senior marks for interpretation and choreography. On the short term this awarded her with prizes and awards - the flip side of the coin was that instead of working on maturing as a skater she was working on meeting those expectations: inconsistencies started creeping up right after the team competition at the OLys, and since then it was downhill.

Had she been judged properly so that also her coaches could realize she needed to be allowed time and chance to fix her technical issues and mature as a skater, maybe (and it is a maybe) she would have avoided injuries. Maybe a reward less, but a healthier life. And a longer skating career.
Andy
Andy

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Andy, I see your point. Just sad overall.
Winnipeg

Postby chuckiem » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I agree with Andy. As a junior and early senior, Yulia was heavily coached and choreographed down to every single gesture in her programs. Judges responded with astronomical scores and audiences and critics with raves. But when her sophomore season began, she was given choreography then was left to her own devices to figure out what to do with it, and her performances weren't the same. She still got high scores, but as her body changed and the jumps began to fail, everything went downhill, despite her attempts to regain her former glory. A sad story.

I do recall several years ago when her choreographer Averbukh commented that Yulia's weight was a concern (and at the time, she was about 14 and very tiny). He apparently recognized that her jump technique would not work if she did not maintain a very slender physique.
chuckiem

Return to Figure Skating