WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FIGURE SKATING MILANO 2018

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FIGURE SKATING MILANO 2018

Postby mrsaybia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am

Goodmorning,

I'm new here! I'm Mireille from Holland and my husband and I are going to the World Championship Figure Skating in Milano next year! I'm really looking forward to it, as it's a dream come true.
I've never expected that I would go to this kind of huge event!

As I'm new in attending this kind of events, I'd like to ask some questions about it. I've written to the venue Mediolanum Forum, where it will be held. For so far no answer.
That's why I'd like to ask it to YOU all! I'm sure there are a lot of Forum members, who've attended this kind of events. Maybe we can share our experiences in this topic!

Here are my questions:

When will the ticket sale be starting?
Is it easy to order tickets by mail and will the tickets be send to your homeaddress?
I'd like to order package deal tickets, like for the whole event, including the best seats possible. As close to the ice? What are your suggestions to order these kind of tickets? Do you have to write to the ticket organisation to arrange this?
Is it possible to bring a camera to the venue? Like a Canon with replacable lenses? It would be great to make pictures during that event!
Maybe it's useful to share things about Milano in here? Like how the transport is (how to reach the venue) or share good addresses to stay (we've booked an appartment for a week, about 10 km. from the stadion).

I hope someone could answer some of these questions!

Again, I'm really really looking forward to it!

Best regards, Mireille
mrsaybia

Re: WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FIGURE SKATING MILANO 2018

Postby Dragonlady » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

When will the ticket sale be starting?

It varies. Tickets are sold by the host federation. Check the ISU Website regularly. They will have a link to the Milano 2018 website, which you can bookmark.

Is it easy to order tickets by mail and will the tickets be send to your homeaddress?

Yes and yes, but the best advice is to buy the tickets online from a reputable broker or the facility box office. Your credit card will be protected.

I'd like to order package deal tickets, like for the whole event, including the best seats possible. As close to the ice? What are your suggestions to order these kind of tickets? Do you have to write to the ticket organisation to arrange this?

Order your tickets online, on the day and the hour they go on sale. We've had front row seats, more than once, by doing this. Also, before you order, determine where the judges are sitting and try to get seats on the same side of the rink. The website will have a seating chart so you can check where your seats will be in relations to the rink set up.

We often talk about programs being "judge centric" meaning they show best to the judges table. If you sit on the other side of the rink, you get a great view of the backs of the skaters' heads.

Is it possible to bring a camera to the venue? Like a Canon with replacable lenses? It would be great to make pictures during that event!

It depends on the venue. I have a number of friends who take photographs with replaceable lenses. Sometimes the staff won't let you do it but usually they are accommodating as long as you're not being annoying to those sitting near you.

Maybe it's useful to share things about Milano in here? Like how the transport is (how to reach the venue) or share good addresses to stay (we've booked an appartment for a week, about 10 km. from the stadion).

You'll love every minute of it.
Dragonlady

Postby siteadmin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 am

Thank-you DL......I always get a little nervous wondering about the reaction when new folks post around here.

:D
siteadmin
Site Admin

Postby mrsaybia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 am

Thank you very much, Dragonfly, for the information. This was very useful! More information I've hoped for. I will keep an eye on the ISU site then for the link. Hopefully on a day, when I'm off from work, as I'd like to have the best tickets of course!! Good suggestion, to have seats on the side of the judges! :D Never thought of that!

I'm so looking forward to it!!

Are you coming too?
mrsaybia

Postby Dragonlady » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 pm

My first live event, I sat on the side opposite the judges. Once I learned that lesson, I made sure I didn't repeat it.

I would like to go to Milan, but it's going to depend on ticket prices, and such. My friend is planning on going and is looking for someone to go with her, so we'll see. I'm retired now so it's harder on a fixed income.
Dragonlady

Postby mrsaybia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

http://milano2018.com

Looks like it's almost online!!!!
mrsaybia

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Milan is a beautiful city as I remember it. A great spot to attend Worlds and do some other stuff as well! :D :D
Winnipeg

Postby mrsaybia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I've been there once, in Milan, 13 years ago. A Dutch girl, with her husband, going to see our favorite Danish band in the Goganga Club in Milano, driving all the way by car. :) :D :wink:

We didn't have that much time to see the city. That's why we are now arriving on Monday, to see the city on that day and Tuesday. Playing the real tourists. And by plane this time!

I'm counting the days, really! :) :)
mrsaybia

Postby Winnipeg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

mrsaybia wrote:I've been there once, in Milan, 13 years ago. A Dutch girl, with her husband, going to see our favorite Danish band in the Goganga Club in Milano, driving all the way by car. :) :D :wink:

We didn't have that much time to see the city. That's why we are now arriving on Monday, to see the city on that day and Tuesday. Playing the real tourists. And by plane this time!

I'm counting the days, really! :) :)

Have fun! Wish I could go. Good idea to get there early and see the city, definitely worth it.
Winnipeg

Postby Maleeva » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:25 pm

The bids are out to host the 2020 world championships. Croatia, Sweden, The Netherlands and France have all bid.

But I am hoping Canada gets it. I love Montreal and could get there easily with two short flights. Fingers crossed.
Maleeva

Postby mrsaybia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 am

Maleeva wrote:The bids are out to host the 2020 world championships. Croatia, Sweden, The Netherlands and France have all bid.

But I am hoping Canada gets it. I love Montreal and could get there easily with two short flights. Fingers crossed.

Haha, The Netherlands!! That would be a dream come true! :D Although I don't think I will be The Netherlands though.... It's more a speed skating country, but I don't care about the speed skating. Let's go to Holland, hahahaha! I'm in!!! :P
mrsaybia

Postby Nahanni » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:58 am

The figure skating group tour companies have to purchase and pay, in full, for tickets early next month. I'm told the price is basically double that of the all event ticket packages for Helsinki.

I guess the message is for those of you purchasing tickets directly, or with a skating tour agent, be prepared for a substantial price increase.
Nahanni

Postby mrsaybia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Nahanni wrote:The figure skating group tour companies have to purchase and pay, in full, for tickets early next month. I'm told the price is basically double that of the all event ticket packages for Helsinki.

I guess the message is for those of you purchasing tickets directly, or with a skating tour agent, be prepared for a substantial price increase.

Thank you for your answer. Mmmm, then we have to extra safe money then and spending less on something else the forthcoming months..... ;)
Strange that the tickets are so much more expensive next year. Why? Does it depend on the country or venue?
mrsaybia

Postby Dragonlady » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Both really. Costs vary from country to country and even city to city. The prices for venues is generally tied to the age of the facility. Older facilities don't have all of the modern amenities, but they're less expensive to rent.

I know that in Canada, and specifically Ontario, the Air Canada Centre in Toronto is a newer facility. Events there are so expensive, I don't usually go there unless someone else is paying. For example: top tickets for Stars on Ice at the ACC this year are $160.00. At the much older FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, the price is $51.00. Drive to Hamilton (about an hour away) and save $218.00.
Dragonlady

Postby mrsaybia » Sat May 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Still no news yet about the ticket sale. Maybe next week? Who knows.

Something comepletely different. As it's my first time to this event, I wondered how the temperature is in the venue. On tv I see several people wearing a thick winter jacket, including scarf. Other people are only wearing a fleece jacket.
For those of you who has been to a championship: 'What kind of clothes are best to wear during the event indoors during the contest?'
mrsaybia

Postby sms29s66 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:22 pm

As I recall from World's in Washington, regular indoor clothing was fine. But we must have brought coats with us since we had to walk several blocks back to our hotel after the events.
sms29s66

Postby Nahanni » Sun May 07, 2017 3:01 pm

The secret is layers of clothing so you can add or remove!
I've attended many World Championships in Europe and North America and no two venues are the same. If you plan to attend practices, especially early morning, it is usually cold and the food court for a hot drink may not be open,so dress warmly. A scarf and gloves are your best friends. Practice rinks are usually colder. During events your excitement and a rink full of spectators tends to create warmth.
Another factor is how close you are to the ice surface. The first two or three rows can be chilly if the seating starts right at ice level.

Sorry I don't have ticket prices. We travel with a figure skating tour agent and the price we are paying includes accommodation. I'm told the first 5 rows are very expensive.
Nahanni

Postby mrsaybia » Mon May 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Nahanni wrote:The secret is layers of clothing so you can add or remove!
I've attended many World Championships in Europe and North America and no two venues are the same. If you plan to attend practices, especially early morning, it is usually cold and the food court for a hot drink may not be open,so dress warmly. A scarf and gloves are your best friends. Practice rinks are usually colder. During events your excitement and a rink full of spectators tends to create warmth.
Another factor is how close you are to the ice surface. The first two or three rows can be chilly if the seating starts right at ice level.

Sorry I don't have ticket prices. We travel with a figure skating tour agent and the price we are paying includes accommodation. I'm told the first 5 rows are very expensive.

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot!!! We're trying to get as close to the ice as possible, so we'll be dressed warmly then.
As you are telling, the first 5 rows will be very expensive. You are travelling with a figure skating tour agent. Then you have good seats for sure? As you have a tour agent, the ticket sale for this kind of tickets are earlier than when we would like to buy tickets?

What about our changes? I'm travelling with my husband, so only the two of us would like to arrange a full package deal. Is that even possible?

I'm really curious about the prizes. Maybe we have to adapt and buy some 'cheaper' tickets, but we'd love to have seats in at least the first ring!
mrsaybia

Postby Nahanni » Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Mrsaybia

FYI I've sent you a PM.
Nahanni

Postby mrsaybia » Sun May 21, 2017 3:35 pm

For all of those who wants to be a VIP: http://www.ticketone.it/biglietti.html? ... anguage=en
mrsaybia

Return to Figure Skating