Canadian SKaters

Re: Canadian SKaters

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:41 pm

What is exciting in Pairs, Jonas, is that our teams all finished top 10, and our #2 team wasn't even there - Seguin & Bilodeau.

Next year's Canadian Pairs Championship is going to be a real dog fight
Dragonlady

Postby Jonas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Kaetlyn Osmond leads Cup of China ahead of three World medalists! Well done! If there's gonna be anybody to challenge Medvedeva for the World title, it may (and SHOULD) be Osmond. She's got the skill set on both the technical and the PCS sides. Just more mileage and more solid, consistent performances in the bank and it should happen. Just STEER clear from injury, please!

In pairs: Iliushechkina & Moscovitch could very well be the 2nd Canadian pair at the Grand Prix Final, bumping off Seguin & Bilodeau in the process. Not some bad positioning for them before Canadian Nationals!

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby bumphystars » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:32 pm

What I love about watching Osmond skate is how STRONG she is. She is fast, there is no question about her jumps being cheated, and she attacks the program. I don't think any of the other women have those three qualities at the moment. All she needs to do now—apart from remain injury-free—is to land her jumps consistently and to increase the difficulty on her 3-3 to include the lutz. If she can do this, I don't see why she can't be on the podium at worlds.
bumphystars

Postby Jonas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Osmond's current jump layout includes two 3flips and two 3toes -- same offering as Medvedeva. Maybe Osmond should learn how to do all these jumps with one hand over her head...LOL... :twisted: :roll:

I'll my continue to believe that it's just a matter of banking more solid, fully clean, 7-triple skates. Osmond has NEVER executed a 7-triple program and she'll quite frankly need to do that. I don't think it's so much a matter of which jump types the 7 triples are comprised of.

But since we're on the topic, I can easily see Osmond being the first Canadian lady to land a 3Axel. :wink:

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby bumphystars » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Jonas wrote:Osmond's current jump layout includes two 3flips and two 3toes -- same offering as Medvedeva. Maybe Osmond should learn how to do all these jumps with one hand over her head...LOL... :twisted: :roll:

I'll my continue to believe that it's just a matter of banking more solid, fully clean, 7-triple skates. Osmond has NEVER executed a 7-triple program and she'll quite frankly need to do that. I don't think it's so much a matter of which jump types the 7 triples are comprised of.

But since we're on the topic, I can easily see Osmond being the first Canadian lady to land a 3Axel. :wink:

Your thoughts...

Happy to stand corrected here!

I giggled at your hands over head comment. I wouldn't have such an issue with that move if it didn't look like she was waving a lasso around. :lol:
bumphystars

Postby Jonas » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 pm

It's been seven full seasons since a Canadian lady qualified for the Grand Prix Final. While Kaetlyn Osmond couldn't hang on to the win, she'll go to Marseille as the leading North American lady.

And peeking at the current pairs standings it looks as though Seguin & Bilodeau will hang on for the 6th qualifying spot.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Kaetlyn landed just 4 triples in her FS at COC---she'll have to do better than that to beat Medvedeva (7) and Radionova (6) at the GPF, let alone Worlds. And then there's Pogorilaya, who landed 7 at CoR.
chuckiem

Postby can-skate » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:22 am

chuckiem wrote:Kaetlyn landed just 4 triples in her FS at COC---she'll have to do better than that to beat Medvedeva (7) and Radionova (6) at the GPF, let alone Worlds. And then there's Pogorilaya, who landed 7 at CoR.

Chuckiem can you please be more specific, what 4 triples are you referring to. I count that she landed two triple toe loops, Two triple flips and a triple salchow, I would also not discredit the triple loop that she fell on as she does get credit for rotating it. The problem is with the triple lutz being underrotated and not getting credit for a triple on that jump. If she skates clean that makes 7 triples. Well within what Medvedeva and Radionova are capable of doing.
can-skate

Postby chuckiem » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 pm

The 3S was UR, and so was the 3Lo she fell on, according to the protocol. She got credit for two 3Ts and two 3Fs.
It looks to me as if she uses up so much energy landing the big jumps at the beginning of her FS that she runs out of steam right about the time she goes into the loop, which is still an iffy jump for her (she has yet to land a clean one).
chuckiem

Postby Jonas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Bumping this thread up for Canadian Nationals, which also starts this weekend.

Safe to say each of the disciplines has its leads: Duhamel & Radford for pairs; Chan for men; Virtue & Moir for dance; and Osmond for ladies. I'd be shocked if these aren't the 2017 Canadian Champions.

It's probably more exciting to see the battles among the men and the ladies to determine who else goes to Helsinki.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Virginia » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Doesn't the 2017 Canadian Nationals deserve its own thread?
Virginia

Postby Maleeva » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Lately I have been wondering how long Virtue/Moir and Papadakis/Cizeron will be able to continue training with the same coaches in Montreal. V&M are used to training with another top level couple (Davis and White) and being the competitors they are, probably relish the daily practices being pushed by P&C.

P&C however strike me as a more sensitive couple who may not enjoy training in such an intense competitive environment.

It will be interesting to see if this arrangement stays intact through the 2018 Olympic Games.
Maleeva

Postby tennisfan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:09 pm

If Papadakis/Cizeron were going to change coaches I don't think they'll do it in the lead up to the Olympics. There's less than 13 months until the Olympics so I just don't see it happening. If I'm Papadakis/Cizeron I think I would see that they are just behind Virtue/Moir at the Grand Prix Final and did so without skating there best where Virtue/Moir skated very well. As well, Virtue/Moir are not staying in beyond the Olympics whereas Papadakis/Cizeron should be staying in for 2022 and possibly beyond.
tennisfan

Postby bumphystars » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:09 pm

I wonder if P/C need some new material. I still find that they are pretty one-note in terms of their style. This is highlighted by the fact that V/M's range and diversity are such strengths for them. That said, it is certainly risky to depart from your entrenched style in an Olympic year.
bumphystars

Postby Jonas » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Oh, CA-NA-DA!! At the 1997 Worlds Canada lost its sole ladies' berth for the Nagano Olympics. Twenty years later, TWO Canadian women have won World medals. What just happened?!?! :shock: :twisted: Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabby Daleman threw it down in both programs. I've gotta say that it is nice to see that they were both rewarded for their speed and how they fill the ice effortlessly.

Gabby is not the most naturally talented skater out there I don't think, but she makes up for it by being one of the unashamedly hungriest competitors -- and she skated like she wanted it. I did not see this coming!

After Gabby skated, I was afraid Kaetlyn would buckle, especially after the doubled loop. But she held it together well after that mistake and on the whole, for the most part, even if I found her performance level to be more cautious than Gabby's.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Dragonlady » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:48 am

I watched with a friend this afternoon, and while chatting with Rach2, and other friends from FSU, and it was the MOST EXCITING thing since Jeff Buttle won Worlds in 2009. We hoped to get 3 spots and a medal, but this was like dreaming in technicolour. We're still giddy over it.
Dragonlady

Postby Jonas » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 am

So, on this afternoon's Skate America broadcast on NBC, Tara Lipinski shared a conversation she reportedly had w/Gabby Daleman. Gabby reportedly claimed that she's working on 4toe off the harness with some decent success and is planning on unveiling it at Canadian Nationals!

While I can definitely see her landing one, I'm not sure if she'll actually attempt it this season at all, given she has yet to nail a clean FS since winning World bronze couple months ago. She has yet to even win a Grand Prix medal. She was in perfect position this afternoon, but slipped all the way down to 6th instead.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 am

Gabby seems to be having stamina issues, which is not surprising considering she had surgery over the summer and missed training time. Her SPs are fine, and her freeskates start out strong, but at midpoint she tires and the stepouts and pops become costly.

Under the circumstances, I'm not sure this is the right time to be training a 4t. OTOH, she has nothing to lose by trying it at Nationals as there is no Canadian lady who could possibly pass her even if she messes up!
chuckiem

Postby Jonas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Seguin and Bilodeau have reportedly ended their partnership and are not even sure they'll continue competing. :shock: :(

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Winnipeg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Wow, did NOT see that coming. What a shame (I think because do not know the why of this decision). :shock:
Winnipeg

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Skating