Milan and after ...

Re: Milan and after ...

Postby sms29s66 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Chuckie, take some advice from us down in hurricane country. Fill the tub with water so that you will be able to flush your toilet in these emergencies.
sms29s66

Postby chuckiem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 am

That's great IF you know in advance there's going to be a problem. But this nor'easter crept up on NJ stealthily and according to the weather predictions, the wind effects were supposed to be felt for the most part on the shore communities, not on interior NJ. I live more than 50 miles from the shore.

BTW, this afternoon, I did an exterior inspection of my house and found that 3 big pine trees on the side of the house went down. One fell sideways, damaging an apple tree and is in a precarious position, threatening a front window. Removing those trees is going to cost big bucks and of course it is not covered under homeowners insurance.
chuckiem

Postby Virginia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 am

We lost 15 shingles off our roof down here in Virginia. Neighbors across the street lost 3 trees, so it could've been worse. No snow here, just wind. Gusts of 60 to 70 MPH, hurricane force.

Also 10 hours without power -- again, could have been much worse.
Virginia

Postby sms29s66 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Virginia, my daughter in Charlottesville says they had sustained winds of 40 mph and gusts up to 70. What she couldn't believe is that in all that wind, the people next door were doing fence repairs from the last time they had high winds! That was at least a year ago!
sms29s66

Postby chuckiem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Just heard NJ is about to get pounded by yet another nor'easter tomorrow night, this time with 4-8 inches of snow. I had to call a tree service right away, because one of the downed trees is leaning on my house and if you add the weight of snow, that sucker is going to come right INTO my house. The good news from the tree service guy is that insurance should cover the cost of removal because the tree is leaning on the house. They are coming back to remove the trees TODAY. Total cost of tree removal, cartage and stump removal: $6000.
chuckiem

Postby sms29s66 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm

chuckie, I tried to post earlier telling you not to give up on insurance coverage, based on my own experience. I suspected your homeowners policy would kick in. Hang in there. And remember--global warming is our friend! :shock: :lol:
sms29s66

Postby Maleeva » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:11 pm

The pairs entries were updated and it looks like Sui and Han have withdrawn from pairs.
Maleeva

Postby chuckiem » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Hanyu has been replaced by Kazuki TOMONO
chuckiem

Postby tennisfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am

Medvedeva has withdrawn - her foot is not completely healed.
tennisfan

Postby bumphystars » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Maleeva wrote:The pairs entries were updated and it looks like Sui and Han have withdrawn from pairs.

Any word on why? I sure hope they are not injured, though it's more likely post-Olympic fatigue or obligations.
bumphystars

Postby Virginia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Not sure what "obligations" Sui and Han could have. This is both puzzling and intriguing.

As Chinese skaters, they are effectively employees of the state, funded and salaried just liked the old Soviet system, and completely subject to the authority of the federation. Their activities (like touring) all have to be approved by the Chinese skating bosses, I'm sure -- which is really the government.

Remember when Shen and Zhao came back to try for gold in 2010? They were married, but were required to move back into the athletes' dorm for the year, giving up married life. I'm sure they wouldn't have chosen that.

Also remember two or three years ago when the federation arbitrarily split up two pairs and re-assigned partners?

The point here is that skaters in China have no freedom. They're told where to live, who to skate with, who their coaches will be, what competitions to skate and probably have little say in music and costumes.

I would expect that the figure skating powers-that-be to have no higher priority than Worlds and the placements Sui and Han can earn for China next year. I'm really curious to know how they got out of going.
Virginia

Postby bumphystars » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Great points, Virginia, of course you are right. Makes me think it must be an injury of some sort. OR the feds have been strategic and think they will get three spots without Sui and Han, given retirements/no shows.
bumphystars

Postby Virginia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Tennisfan wrote:
Medvedeva has withdrawn - her foot is not completely healed.

Any word on who her replacement will be?
Virginia

Postby chuckiem » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm

They've already posted Konstantinova as Evgenia's replacement. Stanislava finished off the JW podium, beaten by unheralded Mako Yamashita. If she can't beat good but not great juniors, how will she do against seniors? This is good news for Kostner, Osmond, Sotskova and Miyahara, because Stanislava won't get anywhere near the PCS scores they can. And her World Ranking just missed making the top 12 for the short program, which additionally won't help boost her PCS (BTW, if she had made the JW podium, she would have been in that top 12).

The top 12 (in order):

Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN
Satoko MIYAHARA JPN
Maria SOTSKOVA RUS
Alina ZAGITOVA RUS
Carolina KOSTNER ITA
Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN

Mirai NAGASU USA
Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN
Karen CHEN USA
Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ
Dabin CHOI KOR
Nicole RAJICOVA SVK

This won't be the actual order of skating, but it could be the actual grouping.
chuckiem

Postby Virginia » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 am

This and That reports that Sui has a foot injury.
Virginia

Postby tennisfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

Virginia wrote:This and That reports that Sui has a foot injury.

Yes, Sui has a foot injury. That's why Sui/Han withdrew from Four Continents as well.
tennisfan

Postby Maleeva » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Karen Chen has been replaced by Maria Bell, not sure why.
Maleeva

Postby chuckiem » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 pm

A boot issue, no doubt. There goes any hope at all of saving 3 spots. I have no faith in Mirai and her 3A. Interesting, though---Ashley, the first alternate, declined, and both Ashley and Karen are in Stars on Ice.
At least Mariah has a high World Ranking and will be in the group of the last 12 to skate the SP. Bradie is close, but no cigar; technically, she should be in the group just before the 7-12 group to skate, but that isn't the way they do it. They put the lowest 10 skaters in World Ranking in the first two groups, then create a "middle group" of the remaining 15 skaters (including both Bradie and Konstantinova) and the skaters draw lots for their skate order. I won't be surprised to see Bradie in the first flight of the middle group and Konstantinova the last skater of the middle group. Funny how the luck of the draw seems to work out.

Also: in Pairs, Kayne/O'Shea are out and Stellato/Bartholomay are in. The problem for Deanna and Nate is that they are likely to start the SP in the first group, if not as the first pair. That won't help their score---and 13 of the 29 pairs get axed at the end of the SP. If they don't score high enough, they won't go on to the FS.
chuckiem

Postby bumphystars » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm

What happened to Kayne/O'Shea? Unfortunate since they have been building momentum this season.
bumphystars

Postby Barcelona » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Any predictions yet? I'm guessing men's podium will be Uno, Chen and Jin in some order. The French will win dance, the Germans pairs and Zagitova ladies but how about the other medals? Will the home ice advantage bring medals to Cappellini/Lanotte and Kostner, maybe even Marchei/Hotarek??

Edit to add that I'm going to see Saturday's events, i.e. men's free and free dance. Should be interesting enough but I do regret missing the opportunity to see Savchenko/Massot and Kostner in what most likely will be their last worlds :(
Barcelona

PreviousNext

Return to Figure Skating