Olympics Wide Open

Olympics Wide Open

Postby canskate79 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi

With the Russian ban, ladies & pairs is now wide open. No Russian men or dance teams were a real threat.

I’m liking Kaetlyn’s chances to medal much better.
canskate79

Re: Olympics Wide Open

Postby chuckiem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

No figureskaters are among those charged with doping, so according to the IOC, they will be allowed to compete. Putin has already said Russian athletes will be permitted to compete at the Games under the IOC-prescribed conditions.

So expressions of schadenfreud are a bit premature...
chuckiem

Postby Dragonlady » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 am

This Canadian is happy that the Russian skaters will be there.

As for the guy who said that Ladies and Paits are now wide open has clearly forgotten about the Japanese Ladies and the Chinese Pairs.
Dragonlady

Postby siteadmin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 am

canskate79, I think we can do without blanket statements such as that. Fact is more than a few countries......including Canada & the USA....... have had drug issues in one sport or another at various times.

Thank you.
siteadmin
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

chuckiem wrote:No figureskaters are among those charged with doping, so according to the IOC, they will be allowed to compete. Putin has already said Russian athletes will be permitted to compete at the Games under the IOC-prescribed conditions.

I am worried for Ekaterina Bobrova. She had a doping case because of Meldonium. She stopped taking this medicine in October or November of 2015, but the traces of it were found after January-2016. She had to miss Worlds 2016. Later she was justified as WADA confirmed that it make take several months to completely remove Meldonium from the body.
I think she still has chances to be allowed to go to the Olympics.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:18 am

There are still many questions how the Russian team participation's (if the athletes decide to go) is organized without the Russian Olympic Commitee.
IOC told that it would cover the expenses for the athletes.
Still a lot is not clear. For example, if Russia is not allowed to be represented as country, does that mean that there will be no Russian judges in Figure Skating? But if there is no judge from Russia in any competition (team, signles, pairs, dance) that will not be fair.
Ellen

Postby tennisfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 am

Ellen wrote:
chuckiem wrote:No figureskaters are among those charged with doping, so according to the IOC, they will be allowed to compete. Putin has already said Russian athletes will be permitted to compete at the Games under the IOC-prescribed conditions.

I am worried for Ekaterina Bobrova. She had a doping case because of Meldonium. She stopped taking this medicine in October or November of 2015, but the traces of it were found after January-2016. She had to miss Worlds 2016. Later she was justified as WADA confirmed that it make take several months to completely remove Meldonium from the body.
I think she still has chances to be allowed to go to the Olympics.

My understanding of WADA's decision regarding meldonium is that it was found that the athletes who tested positive before Mar 1. 2016 and who had a very low level - less than one microgram - were cleared of doping charges. I believe Bobrova will be allowed compete, if she chooses to do so.
tennisfan

Postby chuckiem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Ellen wrote:There are still many questions how the Russian team participation's (if the athletes decide to go) is organized without the Russian Olympic Commitee.
IOC told that it would cover the expenses for the athletes.
Still a lot is not clear. For example, if Russia is not allowed to be represented as country, does that mean that there will be no Russian judges in Figure Skating? But if there is no judge from Russia in any competition (team, signles, pairs, dance) that will not be fair.

Judging panels are selected by the ISU, not the IOC. And there's never been a problem with judges / officials doping (although cheating has occasionally been a problem). So I don't see why the IOC would have concerns about Russian judges.
chuckiem

Return to Figure Skating