2017 GP #1 ROSTELECOM CUP 10/20-22 Moscow RUS

Re: 2017 GP #1 ROSTELECOM CUP 10/20-22 Moscow RUS

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I have seen some of the FDs, my two cents:
1) Shibs: I never cared about their skating, but I have to say: kudos to them. I fully respect them and their effort, beautiful skating. Not my taste, but great work indeed.
2) Bob/Soloviev. I think they are trying. Her posture is better than in previous seasons (or least it seemed to me), the program is original. Too bad I lost them mid way and it just became boring. The finale brought back some interest again. I enjoy Soloviev skating... I think he could do a lot more, and for sure more interesting programs.
3) Stepanova/Bukin. This was the program I enjoyed the most in the competition. I like them a lot, great potential and some real fire. They kept me interested from the beginning to end. Next Olympic cycle will be for them to grab. Hope they keep improving.
4) Guignard/Fabbri. I enjoyed their program too. They are good technicians, I miss from them some connection. It is more personal taste than anything else, so I leave it at that.
5) Popova/Mozgov. I am a bit done with Carmen in the FD (or Carmen in skating, for what that matters), but great effort for a couple making their senior debut. Fiery, attacking, all out. Again, an exciting prospect for the next olympic cycle.
6) Gilles/Poirer. I am not yet entirely sold on this year FD. They are improving, a lot of nice touches, so I can only hope they will keep progressing as the season progresses.
Andy
Andy

Postby Maleeva » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:24 pm

What impressed me about the Shibs was how polished they had both programs for the first time out this season. I'm sure they were thrilled having such a comfortable win over BobSolo.

BobSolo's program also lost me in the middle. Sorry but I still notice her bad posture-they to just seem to use more moves in the choreography to try and cover it. I agree that Soloviev is the more talented of the pair, which leads me to...

StepBukin. I have been critical of the talent disparity of this couple since they first appeared on the scene. She has improved but is still not close to his talent level. Again, their choreography tries to mask this fact but it is still evident. IMO Bukin is one of the top male ice dancers in the world.

I'm sure Gilles and Poirier were bitterly disappointed to lose by 7 points here to StepBukin. G&P placed two spots ahead of them at worlds, so there is some shuffling going early this season with the ISU judges on where they see teams ranked, heading up to the Olympic games.
Maleeva

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 am

Maleeva wrote:StepBukin. I have been critical of the talent disparity of this couple since they first appeared on the scene. She has improved but is still not close to his talent level. Again, their choreography tries to mask this fact but it is still evident. IMO Bukin is one of the top male ice dancers in the world.

I'm sure Gilles and Poirier were bitterly disappointed to lose by 7 points here to StepBukin. G&P placed two spots ahead of them at worlds, so there is some shuffling going early this season with the ISU judges on where they see teams ranked, heading up to the Olympic games.

I hear you, Maleeva. On StepBukin I would have fully agreed until last season - this year FD is in my very own opinion built to showcase also her strengths, rather than masking her weaknesses. That said, I also think he is the stronger of the two. The disparity in skating is thinning, though, and this is why I said that they will be an exciting prospect for the next cycle.

On GiPo I was positive when I saw them at ICA, for being so early in the season. Now at CoR they are getting more comfortable in their FD but to me it lacks still some spark. I would have had the Italians in front of them in the FD section.
Andy
Andy

Previous

Return to Figure Skating