Events for the Week of Sept. 25 - Oct. 1

Events for the Week of Sept. 25 - Oct. 1

Postby siteadmin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:57 pm

siteadmin
Site Admin

Re: Events for the Week of Sept. 25 - Oct. 1

Postby Jonas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Not an international event, but the SoCal Interclub Competition featured a head to head between Karen Chen and Ashley Wagner.

Chen beat Wagner in the short by about 4 points, but Wagner caught up in the free and won the overall event by a little less than 3 points.

I did catch YouTube clips of their free skates.

Wagner is indeed reusing "Moulin Rouge" complete w/the original red dress. She singled the Sal in the planned 3loop+1loop+3Sal combo, two-footed her 3FLutz, and omitted the 2toe in her second 2Axel. Rest of the jumps looked clean. Spins haven't improved much and the overall choreography looked stale, which is kinda to be expected given it's her 3rd season using it. Frankly, she's gotta go whistle clean from here on out. She's still competitive among the US ladies, but I really don't think she's gonna go anywhere near the podium in Pyeongchang w/this.

Chen botched both 3Lutz passes. She's no Katarina Witt and I'm not even sure "Carmen" suits her in general, but at least the program is fresh and, IMO, has more potential for "artistic" growth than Wagner's Moulin Rouge. Chen is just so wildly inconsistent that I'm going to wait until her Grand Prix events to kinda gauge her podium chances. Chen's spins are clearly superior to Wagner's; I'd say the speed was comparable. Chen's jumps are bigger, but believe it or not, it looks like Wagner is quicker w/her rotations in the air. Both are subject to underrotation calls.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Return to Figure Skating