GRAND PRIX FINAL 12/8-11 MARSEILLE FRA

Re: GRAND PRIX FINAL 12/8-11 MARSEILLE FRA

Postby Dragonlady » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:17 pm

Maleeva wrote:After watching the the short and free dances, for me, Hubbell and Donohue have offcially passed Chock and Bates this season. I enjoy both of H&D's dances better and I really think Zach is a magnicent dancer.

Looking forward to seeing what the USFS judges think at Kansas City in January.

I am not a Chock & Bates fan. Total mis-match. I love them both individually, but together, no. This year they are skating to three of my favourite pieces of music, and I strongly dislike both programs. I thought their CD patterns in the SD were the worst I've ever seen from a top level dance team - no matching lines, which are critical to the Midnight Blues. They were completely overmarked at Skate Canada, and their marks have dropped like a stone since.

Hubbell & Donohue have really improved in Montreal. It should be also be noted that Marie-France and Patrice were coaching half of the teams at the GPF. As coaches, they are becoming more successful than they were as dancers, and they did pretty well for themselves on ice too.
Dragonlady

Postby Maleeva » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Good points dragonlady. I think you've explained my thoughts about c and b.
Maleeva

Postby chuckiem » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:41 am

C/B's SD mark dropped drastically at the GPF because of the fall.
chuckiem

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Their marks also dropped dramatically at their second event where they were properly marked down on the CD portion of their SD.

At Skate Canada I was shocked that their marks were so close to V&M in the SD because the overall speed, flow and ice coverage in their program is not good. I'm prepared to cut them some slack for the second event of the season, but realistically, I would have had them behind G&P. C&B's Midnight Blues is shockingly bad for a world medalist team. The lobes are small and not pushed out to the boards, their legs are never matching in the swing rolls - not even close. There's just not enough depth of edge in this CD, and the Midnight Blues is choreographed specifically to reward depth of edge.

I want to add that I desperately wanted to love this dance. As a fan of George Thorogood and the Destroyers, I so wanted to love this dance. This is one of my favourite CD's. It was a match made in heaven. It coulda been SO good.
Dragonlady

Postby bumphystars » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:06 pm

My confusion about C/B is that the are considered better than H/D (though there is now some debate there). I'm not a huge fan of H/D's short dance but their FD is gorgeous and I adore it. I find C/B have two quite similar programs this year, right down to the costuming. It would have been nice to see more range. Problem is, I'm not sure they have it.

Other thoughts from the GPF: I wonder if we have indeed seen the peak of the Hanyu/Javi/Chan narrative and are about to see the emergence of the next gen, ahead of schedule. Although we like to think of the sport as having rivalries that last over four years, peaking at the Olympics, I'm not sure those three can hold off Uno and Chen for much longer. Chen in particular is a huge threat, though he has a way to go to get the rest of his skating up to par to beat the big guns when they are clean. Indeed, he couldn't surpass Hanyu here even with several mistakes in Hanyu's Free.

It will also be really interesting to see how these bodies hold up over the short and long term. All of those quads take a toll, especially when you start mixing them in with more in-depth programs.

The ladies: I am absolutely bias towards the Canadian skaters, I am not ashamed to admit, but even in that context I think Kaetlyn is the most intriguing of the bunch. If she skates cleanly she is 100% in the mix for the podium, even the top of the podium. Of course, she hasn't been able to lay it down but to produce two PBs in her first GPF...she should be psyched. I can see her peaking at the right time next year if she continues on this upward trajectory. I like the Russian skaters but none of them have the speed and power of Osmond. Will be interesting to watch.

Pairs: I didn't see much of it but am disappointed for MEgan and Eric who are such fierce competitors and have to be disappointed with their result (and have candidly said as much). I hope they can put it behind them and regroup as they are the best when they get the tricks out.

Ice Dance: V/M are the class of the field and I've just loved this comeback. They are oozing confidence! I can't wait to see ice dance at nationals....Literally can't wait as I'll be there in person. Woohoo! This was a great event with so much depth right now. I can honestly say that I enjoy all of the teams for one reason or the other.
bumphystars

Postby chuckiem » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Osmond has speed and power, but doesn't have a 7-triple freeskate and lacks the stamina to complete even the six triples she has planned. If Kaetlyn wants to be World Champion, she needs 7 clean triples to beat Medvedeva, who may not be the most charismatic skater out there, but certainly is the most consistent.
chuckiem

Postby Maleeva » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 am

chuckiem wrote:Osmond has speed and power, but doesn't have a 7-triple freeskate and lacks the stamina to complete even the six triples she has planned. If Kaetlyn wants to be World Champion, she needs 7 clean triples to beat Medvedeva, who may not be the most charismatic skater out there, but certainly is the most consistent.

If I'm not mistaken, Osmond does have 7 triples planned/choreographed in her free program. But here she doubled two triples: the 3 toe with the double axel combo and the 3 salchow on the final combo jump sequence with the double loop.

By the way, it was shocking to see all of the empty seats in Marseille. Especially on the first day. I think Canada or Japan would have sold out this event.
Maleeva

Postby bumphystars » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

chuckiem wrote:If Kaetlyn wants to be World Champion, she needs 7 clean triples to beat Medvedeva, who may not be the most charismatic skater out there, but certainly is the most consistent.

Yep, this is exactly what I said. She needs to continue on the upward trajectory, which includes further developing her stamina.
bumphystars

Postby Dragonlady » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:17 pm

At this point, I'm overjoyed to see Osmond turning in two clean, sparkling performances at the top of the elite level, given her injuries and absence from the podium. Furthermore, she makes the most challenging entries, exits, and footwork look effortless, in sharp contrast to Medved who makes everything she does look difficult. Something I haven't seen commented on much, but I noted during the skates is that Osmond skates around looking up and out into the audience. I call it "nose in the air" skating. It denotes absolute confidence, ease of movement and mastery of the program. The young Russian phenoms are all looking down at the ice. It's not a difference in styles, it's a difference in skating skills.
Dragonlady

Postby bumphystars » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Dragonlady wrote:At this point, I'm overjoyed to see Osmond turning in two clean, sparkling performances at the top of the elite level, given her injuries and absence from the podium. Furthermore, she makes the most challenging entries, exits, and footwork look effortless, in sharp contrast to Medved who makes everything she does look difficult. Something I haven't seen commented on much, but I noted during the skates is that Osmond skates around looking up and out into the audience. I call it "nose in the air" skating. It denotes absolute confidence, ease of movement and mastery of the program. The young Russian phenoms are all looking down at the ice. It's not a difference in styles, it's a difference in skating skills.

THIS! I noted that John Coughlin remarked on a recent episode of the Ice Talk podcast that Osmond's short is his favourite program of the year because of this energy and confidence. It's so refreshing.
bumphystars

Previous

Return to Figure Skating