NHK TROPHY 2016

NHK TROPHY 2016

Postby Maleeva » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Jason and Grant were a mess in the short! I'm thinking if Nathan stays in 2nd he makes the GP Final, right? Unless Jason can somehow come back and finish third?

I cannot wait to see if Tessa and Scott can challenge G&G here. Any predictions? I'm thinking G&G will win but only by three points or less.
Maleeva

Re: NHK TROPHY 2016

Postby Jonas » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah, not the hottest men's SP I've ever seen. Hanyu outclassed the field by a long mile -- and he himself wasn't perfect. Nathan Chen scores big on his big quad attempts; if he hangs on to 2nd, and I don't see him not doing so, he's just bumps off Rippon for the 6th qualifying spot for the Final.

Jason Brown botched all three of his passes, but he really lucked out on the 3Axel: he got full base and 0.00 GoE. Shouldn't gotten a carrot, IMO, and perhaps a negative as it looked two-footed to me. I think he can rally hard enough to get the bronze here and a ticket to the Grand Prix Final.

Grant Hochstein just hasn't built on any momentum since his surprise top 10 finish in Boston.

Among the ladies Pogorilaya and Sotskova were great. Nagasu is a lick away from helping Ashley Wagner get that fifth straight to the Final, but I'd honestly be shocked if she were to beat Miyahara for that bronze medal. If at all, I expect Higuchi to be the one to do that for a ticket to the Final for herself.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Jonas » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:38 pm

ETA:

I didn't watch the Pairs SP unspoiled as I presumed that the World Champs would be leading, but peeking at the scores to my surprise are newly teamed Peng & Jin currently in 1st! I watched both programs and it looks like the Chinese played the quality game and did everything well enough to edge the Canadians.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Only 3 men have qualified for the final so far: Fernandez, Chan and Uno---there are still 3 slots open. Even if Hanyu and Chen qualify with 28 and 22 points respectively, Adam Rippon could still be the 6th qualifier, providing Jason Brown doesn't rise from the ashes and claim bronze (which is still a possibility).
chuckiem

Postby can-skate » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 pm

I too am looking forward to the dance event and to see how T&S fair against G&G. G&G had the higher marks going into this competition and therefore a little more momentum. I am impressed by their skating skills and technical. I prefer T&S short dance over G&G's. I felt G had some bad posture while executing some of the more difficult manuver's in the SD at the competition in France but great to see them pushing their comfort zone and try a new style other then classical. I like both of their FD's. It will be close and I do think it will come down to the technical mark.
can-skate

Postby chuckiem » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:08 am

Looks to me as if the Ladies TS Gilberto Viadana is trying to out-Shin Amano with all the >, >>, e and !. Lots of luck to Mirai trying to act as GPF spoiler.
chuckiem

Postby can-skate » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 am

Tessa and Scott looked spot on in the SD. They really nailed the program. What I loved about them was their unison, their deep edges and how close they skated. I also really loved how everything they did was finished. I felt that Gabriella and Guillaume were off tonight. She had an off balance moment in the side by side footwork and also their unison was off in the twizzle sequence. I also felt that the ends of the elements appeared sloppy and unfinished. I think Gabriella may have been a bit nervous.
can-skate

Postby Maleeva » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Can-skate you were exactly correct about the dance event coming down to technical marks. The judges saw them about even in PCS and GOE. The difference was the base score with levels. And with three Europeans and an Israeli making up the technical panel, no one can say this panel was biased toward the Canadians. Props to Tessa and Scott for winning the short.

They won the short at Skate Canada too but lost the free. But with an almost 4 point lead, I see Tessa and Scott pulling off the upset here, if one can call that an upset.
Last edited by Maleeva on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maleeva

Postby Maleeva » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Every placement that Adam Rippon needed to make him qualify for the GP Final happened at NHK. After the terrific perfromances he has delivered this season, I am so happy for him. Well deserved.

I like Nathan Chen but his PCS is too high. And LOL, when is the last time the US had two men in the GP Final? I think 2009, when Johnny, Evan and Jeremy all qualified in that Olympic season.
Maleeva

Postby bumphystars » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:09 pm

can-skate wrote:Tessa and Scott looked spot on in the SD. They really nailed the program. What I loved about them was their unison, their deep edges and how close they skated. I also really loved how everything they did was finished. I felt that Gabriella and Guillaume were off tonight. She had an off balance moment in the side by side footwork and also their unison was off in the twizzle sequence. I also felt that the ends of the elements appeared sloppy and unfinished. I think Gabriella may have been a bit nervous.

I also agree. P/C are such beautiful skaters, but the criticism most often levelled against them is that they are somewhat one dimensional. They do the soft, contemporary style SO well, but the faster, more upbeat tempos do not suit them as well. This is particularly clear in the swing section of this short dance. I think it will be interesting to see if any of the other teams surpass them in this portion of the competition.

The free will be cool to watch. I expect both the French and Canadians to really bring it. If Tessa and Scott can clean up the little errors from Skate Canada I see them coming away with the win.

Also, SO happy for Adam Rippon. He is by far my favourite American man skating right now. I'd love to see him pull a Paul Wylie this season or next and sneak on to the podium with two magical skates. It could happen!
bumphystars

Postby Virginia » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:05 pm

A little astonished we got two American men into the GPF.

I think Ashley had better keep practicing. There's a fair chance that one girl out of the six will get injured. She's lucky to be in spot #7.

AND: Hey, Canada? You're the only country to qualify skaters to the GPF in all four disciplines! (Yes, I know dance isn't done yet, but mathematically there will be at least one Canadian couple in Marseilles.)

- Russia qualified four ladies, one pair, one dance team but no men;
- Japan is sending one lady and two men, but no pairs or dance;
- China only got spots for two pairs; and
- The USA qualified two men and three dance teams (unbelievable!) but no ladies or pairs.

Well done, O Canada!
Virginia

Postby Jonas » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:38 pm

To be honest I'm not THAT surprised at Nathan Chen qualifying for the Final. Looking at the men's roster at NHK I thought that the 2nd place that Nathan Chen ultimately needed to qualify was well within his reach. 4Lutz AND 4flip together garner LOTS of points really quickly and help to make up for any PCS deficit. Good strategy to use, IMO. I will concur that some of his components, particularly TR, IN, and perhaps CO, are, IMO, a tad high. But I'd say his speed is at least comparable to Rippon, Brown, and Aaron.

I'm more surprised that Jason Brown wasn't able to rally in the FS like I expected him to. He only needed to finish 4th overall to bump Adam Rippon off the 6th qualifying spot, but jumps were just off this week. Lowest technical score here in the SP and second lowest (higher than only Grant Hochstein) technical in the FS. He got lucky again with the 3Axel passes, both of which looked short of rotation to me.

I'd say the overall ladies' results and carrot calls were bang on. I will say that Karen Chen has gotten my attention again during the Asian leg of this year's Grand Prix. She was a HOT mess and a nonfactor all last season, but it appears as though she's progressing back up nicely. I could see her back on the podium in Kansas City.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Nathan's jumps were better than his last outing---he had the 3a in both programs---but his presentation in the FS was vastly improved, too. If he keeps on improving this rapidly, he could be a podium contender at Worlds this year.

Interesting: Adam Rippon was scheduled to compete at Golden Spin on Dec 7. But now that he's in the GPF, he won't be able to do that (same weekend). Subs are Nathan Chen (also at GPF) and Alex Johnson. Wonder if they'll send Jason Brown.
chuckiem

Postby Maleeva » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 pm

I just read that Tessa and Scott set an all time record score for the short dance, breaking Meryl and Charlie's record. Wow! What this must do for their confidence. Can't wait to see the free dance tomorrow,
Maleeva

Postby Maleeva » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Another all time record score (for the event total) for Tessa and Scott! I did not see this win by 9 points over G&G coming, way off on my prediction. I cannot wait to watch the free dance today at 3:00pm on Universal HD channel to see how they won this event!!!
Maleeva

Postby Maleeva » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:11 am

Just finshed watching NHK.

Props to the judges for rewarding V&M wih the dance win here. G&G appeared to skate with the pressure of facing V&M in competition for the first time. They made a few unusual errors that showed tension in their skating. I realize they train with V&M but facing them in competition I'm sure was a very unusual feeling for G&G. V&M are used to that pressure after training/competing against Meryl and Charlie for so long. Can't wait to see what happens in the GP Final.

The judges also demonstrated they no longer do protocol juding by placing Hawayek and Baker over Sin-Kat. H&B look so much better trained this year and I really like their Free Dance. Sin-Kat looked under-trained and got tired toward the end of the program.

Poor Jason Brown. I've never seen him make so many errors. Hoping he will recover in time for nationals. I love Hanyu's short program to Prince! We are so lucky he did not retire with his OGM and chose to keep skating. I admire him for staying an eligible skater rather than fading into the sunset, like so many before him after they won the OGM.

Ann Pogo is my fav Russian lady this season. I really like both of her programs and her artistry has improved dramatically from last season. She had a well deserved win here.
Maleeva

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:52 am

What an amazing ice-dance competition!! The final flight was the most enjoyable I've seen in a long long time. This is the first time I've really noticed Hawayek & Baker and their program was just beautiful. So enjoyable. And then the three World Champion teams didn't disappoint. G&G make such beautiful shapes on the ice, and their program wove a spell, even with the errors. Then Tessa and Scott skated brilliantly and left no doubt they were back. Last, but certainly not least, C&L skating the perfection that is their Chaplin program. They even look like Charlie and Oona.

I can only imagine what it was like live.
Dragonlady

Postby Maleeva » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Drangonlady thank you for the reminder about Anna and Luca! I forgot to mention them!

I must admit I have never been their biggest fan. By that I mean I have enjoyed their performing abilities but their lack of speed, ice coverage and deep edges have always dampened my enthusiam for this team.

But this Charlie Chaplin free dance is for me, far and away their best program ever. I just smile the whole time through it and it easily was the most cheered for program of the event by the Japanese crowd.

I understand why G&G received higher TES, Skating Skills and Transitions (under PCS). But I would have had Anna and Luca higher than G&G in performance, composition and interpretation, on this particular day. G&G just delivered and reached me emotionally. I think the crowd felt that too, kinda like the Skate Canada crowd reacted. G&G made two significant errors and looked somewhat tense. The judge giving G&G a pefect 10 in interpretation and timing should have saved that score for when G&G truly are perfect. On this Occassion, they were not.
Maleeva

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:37 pm

I watched the competition live, with no commentators, and while I noticed the errors made by G&G, I don't think they detracted from the program, the characters they were creating, or the story they told. A less knowledgeable audience probably wouldn't even have noticed the missed skate grab in the twizzle section, although the footwork stumble was harder to miss. In any case, I thought their PCS should be sky high here, given their performance level never faltered.
Dragonlady

Postby bumphystars » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:34 pm

I like P/C and that free dance, but I really feel that it's the kind of program where mistakes are easier to notice. That is to say that they weave this amazing spell, and when the spell is broken with an error it's really jarring. So I'm not sure I agree that it didn't impact the presentation.

I'm not surprised by V/M's result here. They look better than they ever have, in my opinion, and the French can't afford a foot wrong if they want to beat them. Not to say that it isn't still a good rivalry. I suspect that it will be close all season and will depend on how each team skates at each competition.

I like C/L a great deal but they are not at the same level as either the French or the Canadians, mostly because they are too slow.

H/B are my favourite American team at the moment. That free dance is awesome. I vastly prefer it to C/B in style and execution. Holy wow the dance event in Kansas City is going to be a dogfight!
bumphystars

Next

Return to Figure Skating