Events for the Week of Nov. 14 - 20

Re: Events for the Week of Nov. 14 - 20

Postby chuckiem » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Not only are there all these international events, but this is the week for US SECTIONALS, which is always hairy.

YIKES!
chuckiem

Postby Jonas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:20 pm

I watched tidbits here and there of the three US Sectional qualifiers and I gotta say there are some skaters that are going to make me pay greater attention to the novice and junior events in Omaha.

Some standouts:

Kaitlyn Nguyen out of Pacific Coasts: tiny little thing, but what a precocious jumper. 7 triples!! Sure some of them would probably get dinged internationally, but love the fight! She's coached by Angela Nikodinov. She's my pick to win junior ladies in Omaha.

Ilia Kulik's daughter also qualified for the junior ladies in Omaha. Wow, am I getting old or what?!?!

Among the veterans:

Angela Wang and Caroline Zhang went 1-2 at Pacific Coast Sectionals. Zhang actually won the FS, landing 6 clean triples including 3loop-3loop. Great to see her back in competitive shape. Angela Wang was stellar in the SP, but watered down her jump content in the FS and made mistakes at that. Her speed is looking good though. I'm hoping one or both of these ladies get assigned to Golden Spin of Zagreb! I think both their Sectionals performances would hold up decently in a Challenger Series event.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Ilya Kulik's daughter is also Ekaterina Gordeeva's daughter.
chuckiem

Return to Figure Skating