Canada Is Bidding For Future Events

Canada Is Bidding For Future Events

Postby Nahanni » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Skate Canada has announced it is bidding for GPF 2018 AND Worlds 2020.
Has anyone heard rumours of possible cities in Canada, or other countries that might be bidding for these events?
Nahanni

Re: Canada Is Bidding For Future Events

Postby Maleeva » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 am

Looks like they will select a host city for 2020 worlds next March:

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/sto ... d=11998892
Maleeva

Postby Maleeva » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:01 am

And this November a host city for the 2018 GPF.

https://skatecanada.ca/2016/06/skate-ca ... inal-2018/
Maleeva

Postby bumphystars » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I a million times wish that they would put one of these events in Toronto. Why is it that they never host any big skating events in TO? It can't be because of professional sports teams; they just did it in Boston, after all.

Either the ACC or Ricoh Colliseum? Hershey Center? GM Place?
bumphystars

Postby chuckiem » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Maleeva wrote:And this November a host city for the 2018 GPF.

A good way to ensure V/M win their first GPF championship heading into the Olympics, eh?
chuckiem

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 pm

bumphystars wrote:I a million times wish that they would put one of these events in Toronto. Why is it that they never host any big skating events in TO? It can't be because of professional sports teams; they just did it in Boston, after all.

Either the ACC or Ricoh Colliseum? Hershey Center? GM Place?

ACC is out of the question. With both Leafs hockey and Raptors basketball, getting a clear week at the end of March is out of the question, and then there's the cost. Have you priced tickets to anything at the ACC? It's outrageous. Added to which, there is only one rink there. Where to practice? Hotels close to the venue are also $200+ per night.

Ricoh is small, seating only 8,140 for hockey. Take out seats for the judges and behind them, that's not a lot of tickets for sale. Take out federation allotments and space for the press and corporate sponsors, and really only a handful of paying customers will get what's left. Same issues with practice ice and hotel costs.

Hershey Centre in Mississauga would be better - cheaper and practice ice is available. Hotels in Mississauga are a lot cheaper. Or FirstOntario in Hamilton (formerly Copps Coliseum).
Dragonlady

Postby bumphystars » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Dragonlady, point taken about the hotels, practice rinks, and cost on the ACC, but the hockey and basketball thing is a solvable problem. They did it in Boston, after all, they would simply have to negotiate for an away stretch for both the Leafs and Raptors. It's done all the time.

Hamilton is a great idea, though it sure would be nice to have the worlds in a big city where there is so much culture, etc. It's a great showcase for our country.
bumphystars

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 pm

The ACC is right on the subway system so there would be easy access to areas outside the downtown core.

Hamilton is not a great venue IMHO. Went to Canadians there in 2002 and there was a dearth of nice hotels close by.

Calgary would be a great location. I went to Canadians in 2000 and the Saddledome was great, lots of hotels, restaurants, right on the LRT etc.

Of course, Winnipeg also would be a great location.......... :D
Winnipeg

Postby chuckiem » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:49 pm

A seat in the first 3 rows in Boston for Worlds cost $2200 for the event. My hotel cost $200 per night. That's why I'm broke this year and Skate America is all I can do (no Nationals). There is no doubt wherever Worlds is hosted, it's going to be expensive because the demand is great.

Boston had hosted Nationals 2013 (which lasted 10 days) and had several different venues for the Novice/Intermediate/Juvenile events and practices in addition to TD Garden. They were well-prepared for Worlds. Nationals was expensive, too, but not nearly as expensive as Worlds, at least on a hotel per-night basis. A first-row all event Nationals ticket cost about $1200 back in 2013.

Has Toronto ever hosted Canadian Nationals?
chuckiem

Postby bumphystars » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:32 am

Canadian nationals has been in Mississauga, which is a suburb of Toronto. Synchro nationals has been held in Oshawa, an outer suburb on the east end. But I can't recall it ever being in Toronto proper.

Thinking about it, practice venues in the downtown core can include Varsity, Maple Leaf Gardens (Matamy Centre), and Ricoh.

Where there is a will....
bumphystars

Postby Dragonlady » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

bumphystars wrote:Canadian nationals has been in Mississauga, which is a suburb of Toronto. Synchro nationals has been held in Oshawa, an outer suburb on the east end. But I can't recall it ever being in Toronto proper.

Thinking about it, practice venues in the downtown core can include Varsity, Maple Leaf Gardens (Matamy Centre), and Ricoh.

Where there is a will....

Chuckie, it's interesting that Boston was so expensive because it's the best attended World ever in the US.

Ricoh and especially Maple Leaf Gardens would be prohibitively expensive as practice rinks. Varsity is an option, as would be Moss Park, and the rink on Bathurst Street, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but this is the reason why Mississauga would be the better option. The Hershey Centre has practice rinks on site.

Events like SOI and other shows have ticket prices about $100 per seat higher at the ACC than they do at Hamilton. Over the 7 days of the event, that adds significant cost.
Dragonlady

Postby chuckiem » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm

DL, you have to remember that Worlds is attended by lots of people NOT from the US. Many of the Boston attendees were from Japan, there to support Hanyu, Asada and the Japanese team, and from Canada, supporting Chan and W/P. The Japanese in particular are rabid skating fans---they were a large part of the audience at SA 2014 (which I attended) where they applauded loudly for Tatsuki Machida (who won) and the Shibutanis (who won silver).

The last time Worlds was in the US was 2003, in Washington DC. Japan's Fumie Suguri and Takeshi Honda won bronze there, but figure skating was not as popular in Japan then as it is now, and lacked dominant stars like Shizuka Arakawa, Mao Asada and Uzuru Hanyu who could stand at the top of the podium time after time. There were Japanese fans in the audience then, but nothing like the numbers we see today. The US had Michelle Kwan (gold), OGM Sarah Hughes (6th) Sasha Cohen (4th), Timothy Goebel (2nd), Michael Weiss (5th). What didn't help Worlds attendance was that Washington was jittery, as the US had just bombed Iraq.
chuckiem

Postby tennisfan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 am

What about Los Angeles in 2009?
tennisfan

Postby Virginia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 am

World Championships seem to be awarded a good three years ahead of time -- well before the season schedules for the NHL and NBA are finalized, I expect. The GPF seems to be on a much shorter timeframe -- we're only 18 months or so from the 2018 competition (when will the winning bid be announced?)

By the time the ISU has made a selection it may be too late to secure a big arena in a major market, as other events may have booked the spaces. Heck, I imagine even minor-league hockey would be a significant impediment in Canada.
Virginia

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 am

Skate Canada does seem to make an effort to go to smaller cities in an effort to keep venue costs down. I'm a huge fan of Quebec City. Charming place, with a nice new arena they built for an NHL team that isn't coming anytime soon. Lots of super accommodations and fine dining in a tourist destination city which is the only walled city in North America.
Dragonlady

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:18 pm

QUebec City is a beautiful location!
Winnipeg

Postby Maleeva » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:10 am

chuckiem wrote:
Maleeva wrote:And this November a host city for the 2018 GPF.

A good way to ensure V/M win their first GPF championship heading into the Olympics, eh?

I think this would be the GPF AFTER the Olympics? Or is this the GPF in December 2017?
Maleeva

Postby can-skate » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:24 pm

What about Victoria or Kelowna? Do you think they would be too small for the GPF?
can-skate

Postby Jonas » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Vancouver will host the 2018-2019 Grand Prix and Jr. Grand Prix Finals!
Jonas

Postby Winnipeg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Vancouver is an EXCELLENT city to host! I was there for Worlds in 2001 and it was fantastic, lots of hotels, restaurants, walks, etc. :D :D :D
Winnipeg

Next

Return to Figure Skating