Canadian SKaters

Canadian SKaters

Postby Winnipeg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Just curious, has anyone heard if Kevin Reynolds is coming back?
Winnipeg

Re: Canadian SKaters

Postby vmfan89 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:57 pm

I have no idea, but I do wonder about his chances of even making the top 3 at Nationals.

With Chan and Nguyen likely shoo-ins to be in the top 3, that only leaves one spot. At this point in the season, Baldé is looking good for that spot, but I also think the kids, a.k.a Sadovsky or Nadeau could sneak in there as well if they skate well on the night. Firus and Messing also have potential to get there as well.

Honestly, I think to make it back to the top of the Canadian field, he would need to skate clean while counting on others to make mistakes... but nothing is impossible.
vmfan89

Postby chuckiem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Didn't he have hip surgery for a torn labrum? To my knowledge, no single skater has ever returned to competition after such surgery. Tara Lipinski returned to exhibition skating, but she never did any of the hard jumps again. Naomi Nari Nam returned-- after 5 years--- as a pairs skater. with limited jumps. Alissa Csizny attempted a return, but suffered a dislocated hip in an summer event, had more surgery and finally had to retire. Evan Lysacek tried to return but had to give up when he couldn't get his jumps back. Madison Hubbell returned successfully, but she is an ice dancer and they don't jump.

Kevin would never have had much success if it weren't for his quads, and that is why it is so unlikely he will be able to return. His hip will be unstable for a long time after the surgery and he won't be able to attempt triples for months, let alone quads. Kevin is 25 now, and that isn't a great age to start all over again in figure skating.
chuckiem

Postby Winnipeg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Kevin is on the roster for Nationals next month. I hope he does well.
Winnipeg

Re: Canadian Skaters

Postby Ihsia23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Firus and Messing are skating for Canada now?
Ihsia23

Postby chuckiem » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:56 am

Nicholas Nadeau beat Kevin at Challenge.
chuckiem

Re: Canadian Skaters

Postby tennisfan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Ihsia23 wrote:Firus and Messing are skating for Canada now?

Liam Firus has always been skating for Canada - he represented Canada in Sochi in 2014. Messing started skating for Canada a couple years ago based on his mother having been born in Canada.
tennisfan

Postby Jonas » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Lucky enough to find some clips of the ladies event in Halifax! What a show from the top 3!!

Alaine Chartrand finished 2nd in both segments of the competition, but to me she clearly won the 2016 Canadian Championships. She really threw it down fearlessly in both programs, just oozing ease and confidence. I just got this sense that she wasn't going to miss anything. Plus, what's particularly remarkable was that Chartrand had to skate right after Gabby Daleman threw down a bangin free skate of her own.

Osmond, who IMO is still the most World class of the Canadian ladies, isn't even going to Worlds because her actual performances simply weren't good enough. She knew she had to be whistle clean to regain the title. Credit to her for fighting valiantly, but as the other mistakes crept in she had to know that Boston wasn't gonna happen.

Between Osmond just trying to come back to competitive shape and Brian Orser working some magic with both Chartrand and Daleman, I think it's safe to say that the next two Canadian titles before Pyeongchang are up for grabs. Osmond really doesn't have as much of a PCS cushion as she did in the past. And that should be an exciting prospect for Canadian ladies.

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Neither Chartrand nor Daleman will ever get the PCS scores that Osmond can earn. And neither of them is particularly consistent. Just hope Alaine isn't going to continue her quest for the 3a, as it has proved catastrophic for her in two events this season.
chuckiem

Postby can-skate » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:56 pm

chuckiem wrote:Neither Chartrand nor Daleman will ever get the PCS scores that Osmond can earn. And neither of them is particularly consistent. Just hope Alaine isn't going to continue her quest for the 3a, as it has proved catastrophic for her in two events this season.

I have to disagree with you chuckiem. It sounds to me like you are a little intimidated by the Canadian ladies, and rightfully so.....No women in the world stands out regarding their PCS accept for Osmond who in my opinion is the best in the world. Canada needs 3 spots with the strength of women's skating right now in Canada. I feel that Alaine and Gold have the same style. If Gold can be on the world podium so can Chartrand. Chartrand has beautiful jumps, innovate spins, speed and a uniqueness and elegance to her skating style. I feel that Daleman style is a little more choppy and less elegant but she has the jumps and the spins to back her up.
can-skate

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 pm

I agree that Alaine is very elegant and if she skates like she did at nationals is a podium contender.

Daleman's style is not as elegant per se but she has high jumps and is a strong skater
Winnipeg

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 pm

I'd like to add that I wish Canada could send 3 ladies. I really think all of the top 3 are World class. Even our 4th place finish.

I was surprised to see how very close the 3rd and 2nd place spots were for both mens and ladies at nationals. That must make it even more disappointing to the one getting third.
Winnipeg

Postby chuckiem » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:07 pm

can-skate wrote:
chuckiem wrote:Neither Chartrand nor Daleman will ever get the PCS scores that Osmond can earn. And neither of them is particularly consistent. Just hope Alaine isn't going to continue her quest for the 3a, as it has proved catastrophic for her in two events this season.

I have to disagree with you chuckiem. It sounds to me like you are a little intimidated by the Canadian ladies, and rightfully so.....No women in the world stands out regarding their PCS accept for Osmond who in my opinion is the best in the world. Canada needs 3 spots with the strength of women's skating right now in Canada. I feel that Alaine and Gold have the same style. If Gold can be on the world podium so can Chartrand. Chartrand has beautiful jumps, innovate spins, speed and a uniqueness and elegance to her skating style. I feel that Daleman style is a little more choppy and less elegant but she has the jumps and the spins to back her up.

Intimidated? How on earth would you think that after Chartrand's performances at Skate America (where she was last) and CoR? Methinks you are being carried away by Canflation. Bear in mind that ISU judges do not see Nationals performances, not do they judge the way Nationals judges do. ISU judges saw Alaine's GP performances and they gave her marks according to those performances, as they did Gold; I don't believe they agree with you that their styles are similar: Gold has a Seasons Best of 202.80 and Alaine's is 173.42.

Canada will get 3 ladies when they earn them with placements adding up to 13. Last year, Chartrand placed 11th and Daleman, 21st. Luckily, the rule is that the 2nd skater is valued at 16th if she/he makes the FS so Canada eked out two skaters for 2016. It's going to be crowded in the top 10 this year with Medvedeva, Radionova, Miyahara, Asada, Pogorilaya, Gold, Wagner, Hongo, Edmunds, etc. all vying for placement points. It will be tough for both Chartrand and Daleman to squeeze in there.

I guess we will see at 4CC if Chartrand can score 133 points in the FS internationally. Last year she scored 102.72.
chuckiem

Postby Winnipeg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 pm

chuckiem wrote:
can-skate wrote:

Intimidated? How on earth would you think that after Chartrand's performances at Skate America (where she was last) and CoR? Methinks you are being carried away by Canflation. Bear in mind that ISU judges do not see Nationals performances, not do they judge the way Nationals judges do. ISU judges saw Alaine's GP performances and they gave her marks according to those performances, as they did Gold; I don't believe they agree with you that their styles are similar: Gold has a Seasons Best of 202.80 and Alaine's is 173.42.

Canada will get 3 ladies when they earn them with placements adding up to 13. Last year, Chartrand placed 11th and Daleman, 21st. Luckily, the rule is that the 2nd skater is valued at 16th if she/he makes the FS so Canada eked out two skaters for 2016. It's going to be crowded in the top 10 this year with Medvedeva, Radionova, Miyahara, Asada, Pogorilaya, Gold, Wagner, Hongo, Edmunds, etc. all vying for placement points. It will be tough for both Chartrand and Daleman to squeeze in there.

I guess we will see at 4CC if Chartrand can score 133 points in the FS internationally. Last year she scored 102.72.

I see your point chuckiem and it is very true that they will have to skate cleanly to be a contender. If you saw the skates at Nationals you would see that the performances were there for THAT skate..........the potential is there but of course it is more difficult to deliver consistently which is needed to be on the podium.
Winnipeg

Postby Jonas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Looks like Canadian pairs are heating up again! With less than two years before Pyeongchang Canada claims the two-time and reigning World Pairs Champs plus three other teams that finished top 10 at Worlds at least once. In particular, both Iliushechkina & Moscovitch and Moore-Towers & Marinaro really stepped up their games. No time this season have I seen them skate anywhere close to the way they skated in Boston. If all four of these teams continue to improve the way they do, I think pairs free skate ought to be the Saturday Night main event!

Your thoughts...
Jonas

Postby Virginia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Jonas wrote:
I think pairs free skate ought to be the Saturday Night main event!

Do you mean at Pyeongchang, Jonas, or at next year's Canadian championships?
Virginia

Postby chuckiem » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Surprise, surprise! Daleman skated beautifully and placed 9th, while Chartrand dive-bombed into 17th place! Whoda thunk it?
Congrats to Gabrielle on two great performances :D and condolences to Alaine for her sad ones :cry: .
And 9+17=26 means Canada keeps two Ladies for next season

As for the men, both were unhappy:
Patrick Chan for placing fifth :shock:
Nam Nguyen for not making the cut for the FS :(
But 5+18=23 means Canada keeps two Men for next season

Cheers were muted in the ice dance camp
Weaver/Poje: like Patrick, 5 is not their lucky number
Gilles/Poirier: 8th is in the top 10 (but they were 6th last year)
Paradis/Oullette: did not make the cut for the FD
But 5+8 means Canada keeps three dance teams for next season!
chuckiem

Postby Winnipeg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Alaine most definitely had poor skates which is too bad but...........that is FS.

Daleman skated very well and needs to up her artistry for next years but she performed quite well against a very strong ladies field. :D

I could not figure out what happened to Nguyen other than he has grown a lot and his jumps are obviously off. I'm sure he'll get them back for next year.

Pairs were awesome really, nothing but good things to say about all 3 teams!! :D :D :D
Winnipeg

Postby Jonas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Let's be real: Patrick Chan can wipe the ice w/his tushy, but he'll still win two more Canadian titles should he decide to continue on for Pyeongchang. Though the men's FS has traditionally been the marquee event at the Canadian Nationals, I think the Pairs FS would be far more exciting! Canada's got three teams duking it out for the two spots to join Duhamel & Radford. You can't get more climactic than that!

Yes, personal best performances by and a resultant great showing for Gabby Daleman -- seeded skater next year! It's a shame Chartrand couldn't carry over her winning performances from Canadian Nationals to the post season.

The Puberty Monster is toying w/Nam Nguyen at the moment, but I hope he can get some of his mojo back next season. Let's not forget Nguyen actually skated very well at Skate Canada.
Jonas

Postby chuckiem » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:21 pm

It's a shame that growth issues have plagued both Nam Nguyen and Roman Sadovsky in the same year!
chuckiem

Next

Return to Figure Skating